Identify Barrel Mark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identify Barrel Mark

I am trying to identify a partial mark on top of the barrel, under the rear handguard, on a H&R 1955 original barrel. I have provided two photos of the mark. I just can't make out what it is. I hope someone will recognize this and let me know what it is.

I am sure an inspector marking, Or from a muslim country! looks like a quarter moon.

Comment

Were inspector marks stamped on top of HRA barrels? I can't find a single reference to that. I, like you, thought it might be some symbol from a foreign country. I pray it ain't muslim.

Comment

Inspector marking or hardness test. Possibly an incomplete stamp too.
        Looking for SA bayonet 1045220

Comment

Originally posted by jak View Post
          Inspector marking or hardness test. Possibly an incomplete stamp too.
          Thanks for your input. That is sort of what I'm thinking too. Hardness or heat lot numbers or letters. And incomplete. Been searching all my books and web sites and still no reference to any marks on top of an HRA original barrel.

Comment

Inspector mark or an ARVN barrel mark from Vietnam. Those guys did some random ass stampings with that level of quality.

Comment

Could it be a partially stamped number "5"?

There is a similar mark on one of my HRA barrels.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HRA barrel 5b.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	34638

Click image for larger version

Name:	HRA barrel 5c.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	34639

Last edited by TryItOnce; 03-11-2022, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Could it be a partially stamped number "5"?

There is a similar mark on one of my HRA barrels.
                You may be right. Thought of that myself but had never seen a reference to a number in that general area, until now.
                I see that your "5" is oriented in the same fashion as mine.
                My barrel is dated 6 - 55. I think yours is either 6 or 8 - 54. That's about a year apart. Have you tried to find any info on these numbers?

Very good

Thanks
                Mike

Comment

There is a thread on the CMP forum titled “SRS (Springfield Research Service) serial number request thread” which sometimes gives a detailed history of where a rifle has been. I am going to enter my HRA’s serial number.
                  Possibly both rifles were in the same location, unit, or have something else in common.

Originally posted by countyman View Post

You may be right. Thought of that myself but had never seen a reference to a number in that general area, until now.
                  I see that your "5" is oriented in the same fashion as mine.
                  My barrel is dated 6 - 55. I think yours is either 6 or 8 - 54. That's about a year apart. Have you tried to find any info on these numbers?

Comment

I think it came back from a muslim country!!! Send it to me for proper burial!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1563621 View Post
                      I think it came back from a muslim country!!! Send it to me for proper burial!!
                      hummmmmmmmm

Comment

It could just be a handling ding. I'm sure the rifles weren't handled with kid gloves during assembly and racking.
                        Jon

Comment

Originally posted by TJT View Post
                          It could just be a handling ding. I'm sure the rifles weren't handled with kid gloves during assembly and racking.
                          Jon
                          That's possible. Thank you for your observation and reply. The jury is still out. Right now, I'm leaning toward it being a "5" partial stamp for some line inspection or some Lot identifier or what ever.

Mike
                          countyman

Comment

The SRS search on my HRA produced no results.

Comment

Working...
                            X