Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post-War Newbie

Hello,

I know all of jack and hockey sticks about Garands that I didn't find on google. I have a 5.9 million and change serial number post war (judging by bore and gauges pretty sure it's unissued) with a bit of a worn stock (drill rifle maybe?).

Couple of questions for the gurus, my rear sight block has flat head screws and not the thumb screws I've seen on other Garands, am I missing a couple pieces or is that an aftermarket sight key?
    2) Is battle sight 100 or 200 yards? Also, are the flatheads on my rear sight block tension screws so I can reset my BDC and windage marker to gauge zero after I finish zeroing my rifle? I'm like 2 3/4 bars left on the windage scale and the 0 mark on my BDC dial is burried about 1/4 below the mark and it's shooting about 6 inches low. I'd rather not futz with sights that I can ge a good holdover with and hit bullseye until I get some advice from people who actually shoot these rifles.

I do have about 300 rounds through her at 100 yards and my holdover is 6 inches high and 2 inches right for bullseye.

That is with 203gr greek surplus, is the BDC callibrated for 150gr or 203gr rounds?

Got 2 cans of 203gr Greek in clips with my rifle

It's what I've been shooting with
    Attached Files

Comment

Hum..... post war rifle have a slot screw on elevation and windage knob. Post pictures of your sight

Comment

M1 rifle sights don't have a BDC. They have elevation yardage marks.
        Too much "black rifle" in your past. One should learn the correct nomenclature.
        Just sayin'...
        Jon
        Last edited by TJT; 01-21-2022, 07:55 PM.

Comment

My guess is the rifle has the T105E rear sight and the referenced "flat-head" screws are the stock "pan-head" screws.
          Jon

Comment

I suggest you purchase a copy of Army Field manual FM 23-5. It's a wealth of information.

Comment

Originally posted by TJT View Post
              M1 rifle sights don't have a BDC. They have elevation yardage marks.
              Too much "black rifle" in your past. One should learn the correct nomenclature.
              Just sayin'...
              Jon
              That's a fair point, I'm coing in off of SKS and AR platform rifles, I don't meant to offend. I'm just used to seeing range markers on my sight blocks and being able to find easy calibration. I'm a newbie so I don't know if it's 203gr or 150gr .

Comment

Originally posted by Orlando View Post
                Hum..... post war rifle have a slot screw on elevation and windage knob. Post pictures of your sight
                Sorry about the delay, I work on drill rigs so my time with internet access is very very limited and expensive.
                Attached Files

Comment

I will freely admit I'm a black rifle guy, I didn't mean any offense coming here, I have very very limited free time and I like shooting tourneys and the M1has been a dream rifle since I was like 9 or 10. I've been lusting after one for 20 years. I just want the best sight and load dope so I can go out and shoot it. I'm not a history buff outside of Korea and a few of the ancillary countries that purchased Garands. I just want to shoot one for all it's worth.

More photos...
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by DumpsterDriver; 01-25-2022, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Nothing wrong with your rear sight. Its the later T105 Post War version

Comment

Originally posted by DumpsterDriver View Post
                    I will freely admit I'm a black rifle guy, I didn't mean any offense coming here, I have very very limited free time and I like shooting tourneys and the M1has been a dream rifle since I was like 9 or 10. I've been lusting after one for 20 years. I just want the best sight and load dope so I can go out and shoot it. I'm not a history buff outside of Korea and a few of the ancilliary countries that purchased garands. I just
                    want to shoot one for all it's worth.
                    No offense taken on my part. Glad to see you intend to use yours. The Garand is an excellent shooter and a good utility rifle if you get used to the weight. I use mine for competition, hunting and just wandering my large property.
                    The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
                    The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

HXP is most likely 150gr.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey View Post

No offense taken on my part. Glad to see you intend to use yours. The Garand is an excellent shooter and a good utility rifle if you get used to the weight. I use mine for competition, hunting and just wandering my large property.
                        It's replaced my AR-15s as my truck gun. Best rifle I've ever owned. Outside of a couple of bull barrel .22lrs it's my most accurate rifle shooting prone. I have a new religion.

Comment

Originally posted by 1563621 View Post
                          Pulled
                          5 random cases from my cans, it's a 203 hardball. If my sight is callibrated for 150s I'll switch suppliers and start buying turkish ammo.
                          Last edited by DumpsterDriver; 01-28-2022, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1563621 View Post
                            also over a chrony it's mean average 2450 ish range is from 2200 and change to about 2800 and change with a bias to the hotter end. Out of every 3 clips I get 2 fliers with this ammo and I'm pretty sure it's the pud loads.

Comment

Working...
                            X