Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Garand owner

Hi everyone,
    This is my first time on the forum. I have a chance to buy a Springfielsd Armory M1 Garand in great condition and I have a few questions. The gentleman who owned the rifle passed away so I have no information on it.
    First off is the serial number. It's in the 7,000,000 range. From what I can tell the serial numbers ended in the 6 millions so what am I looking at?

Second, the windage adjustment on the rear sight seems to be Korean era and the trigger guard seems to be WW2 style.

Third, the barrel doesn't have a serial number, it just has Geneseo, ILL stamp on the barrel where the serial number should be.

Fourth, what is it worth and is it an original Garand or a more recent manufacture?

Thanks
    Last edited by baer19d; 06-05-2021, 10:44 PM.

Today's Springfield Armory in Geneseo is a commercial company. They began building commercial versions of the garand in the 80's and started the s/n in the 7 million range. At the beginning they used surplus USGI parts in building the rifles. Your barrel is their commercial barrel. A good way to determine the value is to check gunbroker and other auction site. They occasionally have 7 mil garands. Your garand is worth less than an original garand.

Comment

I've never owned or used one of the commercially made Garands. Accounts by folks who have seem to be generally positive. It will probably be a good shooter if it's in good condition.
      The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
      The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Check the front of the barrel between the gas cylinder ring for NM. A lot of the Wilson commercial barrels used on the SAI early 7 million M1 Garand rifles were National Match barrels.

Comment

Originally posted by RDS View Post
          Check the front of the barrel between the gas cylinder ring for NM. A lot of the Wilson commercial barrels used on the SAI early 7 million M1 Garand rifles were National Match barrels.
          This one does have NM on it.
          Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jak View Post
            Today's Springfield Armory in Geneseo is a commercial company. They began building commercial versions of the garand in the 80's and started the s/n in the 7 million range. At the beginning they used surplus USGI parts in building the rifles. Your barrel is their commercial barrel. A good way to determine the value is to check gunbroker and other auction site. They occasionally have 7 mil garands. Your garand is worth less than an original garand.
            Thanks. This is very useful. I do want to buy it but I need to figure out what it's worth so I can make her a fair offer. None of the gun auction sites have anything that compares to this one. They are all original service rifles.

Comment

A good deal if mint would be $900.00. I have seen them go for $1200.00, if new in the box. Just my opinion. The Wilson NM barrels shot very well. SAI used a lot of Beretta parts in them which is a plus. Parts will be marked PB or BMB.
              Last edited by RDS; 06-27-2021, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RDS View Post
                A good deal if mint would be $900.00. I have seen them go for $1200.00, if new in the box. Just my opinion. The Wilson NM barrels shot very well. SAI used a lot of Beretta parts in them which is a plus. Parts will ne marked PB or BMB.
                Yeah, I was thinking about $1,000 would be fair. It's in wonderful condition.
                thanks

Comment

The barrel, nor any other parts, save for the receiver, don't have serial numbers. They are part numbers. The ONLY serial number on an M1 rifle is the number on the receiver heel.
                  Jon

Comment

Working...
                  X