Serial Number and Drawing Number Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serial Number and Drawing Number Help

I'm looking at a very good condition post-war Garand in the 5,41X,XXX S/N range. The receiver legs are stamped with a heat number "A49B" and a drawing number of "F6528291." Unfortunately, I don't own a copy of Scott Duff's Post WW2 Garand book. However, based on my research online the rifle seems to have been produced either in late 1954 or early 1955 based on the S/N but the drawing number doesn't seem to line up with the serial number according to what I could find on usriflecal30m1.com. I did find a number of rifles with the same drawing number as this rifle with slightly lower S/Ns in the 5,3XX,XXX range. The photos I have don't show any obvious signs of welding. Wanted to reach out to see if anyone could shed some possible light on this for me. I appreciate it!

54267XX HEAT LOT A 49 A BARREL 12-54 F 6528291 REC DWG No. Found no data sheets with Heat lot A49B. But that means nothing as SA heat lots are all over the place and small number of SA data sheets.
    Your heat lot most likely correct.
    Last edited by RDS; 04-23-2021, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RDS View Post
      54267XX HEAT LOT A 49 A BARREL 12-54 F 6528291 REC DWG No. Found no data sheets with Heat lot A49B. But that means nothing as SA heat lots are all over the place and small number of SA data sheets.
      Your heat lot most likely correct.
      RDS, thanks for looking into things for me. My understanding is that the rifle was a CMP purchase some years ago. Any idea if there is a way to verify that with the CMP (curious to see if I could get a certificate of authenticity for my records)? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by RushTheBus View Post

Any idea if there is a way to verify that with the CMP (curious to see if I could get a certificate of authenticity for my records)? Thanks!
        CMP will do the research for $25.00. I believe CMP will only give a certificate to the original purchaser of the rifle.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showpost.ph...25&postcount=5

Comment

Well worth the $25.00 for verification.

Comment

Thanks for the link Jak. Like RDS said, it definitely sounds like it's worth the few bucks!

Comment

CMP will only tell you whether they ever had that rifle in their inventory or not. They will NOT send you any certs.
              Jon

Comment

Working...
              X