IHC Gap 4656863 Barrel Identification help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IHC Gap 4656863 Barrel Identification help

After reviewing all the reference documents I have, I can't quite document the barrel on my IHC rifle. All other components have Springfield part numbers, as does the barrel. The receiver is clearly from 53-54 that was completed by Springfield for IHC but the barrel (if I understand the markings) is a 1963 vintage? Barrel condition is excellent. Direction to any solid references would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

SA barrel from Jan. 1963 used as a replacement barrel in a rebuild sometime in 1963 or later. The SA replacement barrels from the 1960s are excellent barrels and great shooters. Your barrel was made in January 1963. Are there electric pencil etching on the left front receiver leg. If so please post photos of same. National Guard units used the M1 Garand up into the 1970s.
    Last edited by RDS; 04-11-2021, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. No, no pencil etching on left from receiver,

Comment

My mistake. It's the right front leg that would be pencil etched.

Comment

No, nothing there either except the SA drawing number

Comment

I see I H C stamped in that last view. Is that a production marking or did IHC do overhaul work on rifles?
            The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
            The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

• TJT
              TJT commented
              Editing a comment
              IHC did not do any overhauling.
              Jon

It is a "GAP LETTER" IHC Receiver but was finished at Springfield in late '53 or early '54. The barrel is a Springfield replacement barrel dated 01/63. About all I know about the markings.

Comment

I confirmed the receiver serial number I have posted is correct. Looks like every one of these rifles is a bit of a mystery.

Comment

Working...
              X