My new IHC Gap Letter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new IHC Gap Letter

I just completed a trip to CMP Talladega and had a great time. This was my first time to shoot at the range and my first time to shoot a Garand. By the way, Mike worked with me at Range 2 to get sighted in and get me set up. He is a great professional who has a passion for the Garands. Thank you Mike.

I brought my SA '45 that I purchased about a month ago and I picked up a "new to me" IHC 4 Mil Gap Letter at the TMP Store. I had plans to pick up an IHC Service Grade and hoped to pick up a Rack Special for just general shooting. They had neither of these at the store, but I really liked the IHC I found with a matching LMR barrel (or so I think). Both of these rifles shot very well with some Privi ammo, but the IHC was definitely a little tighter for me. The rifle is a mixed parts rifle as expected in the IHC service grade category, but that is fine. The stock is a brand new (2016 vintage) CMP stock that looks great, but could use some oil. I'll be looking through the threads for recommended treatments.

Parts are as follows:
    Receiver - 4643786 with IHC F6528291 A54
    Barrel - LMR D6535448 2 54 A30
    All other parts are SA that are WW2 era dates.

My only concern is the barrel has some active rust on the top, under the rear hand guard. I hit it with some Flitz and then oiled/greased the rifle, but I feel I have more to do. I really want to keep this barrel, even with some pitting from the rust. I will look for some tips for stopping and removing the rust, so that I can preserve it. Since I am planning to keep it as a shooter, as it is definitely not original, I may look into sending it back to CMP for a reparkerization service. What do you guys recommend from your experiences.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1631.JPG
Views:	628
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	28890 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1630.JPG
Views:	550
Size:	3.85 MB
ID:	28891 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1634.JPG
Views:	568
Size:	3.03 MB
ID:	28892

I used to use ATF (not the agency...Ford spec auto tranny fluid) to stop rust from time to time on various stuff like my martial arts sword that rusts up from skin oil contact.
    Should be fine here I should think. (I am assuming it is a slight surface type of rust which should be easy to stop.)
    If you make up a batch of Ed's Red, it has Dextron-II or ATF in it that should help in a similar fashion as well as lanolin (if you do the full recipe). https://www.majorsgunclub.org/edsred.html

There's also a couple of MILSPEC oils that might help if you can locate them or a reasonable equivalent.
    0-190 PL-S General Purpose Preservative VV-L-800A might work. https://www.omahas.com/shop/military-lube-oil-1-qt/
    8030-00-938-1947 Corrosion Preventative Compound, Water Displacing, Ultra Thin Film is the other option (not sure if that's actually WD-40 in a MILSPEC can or not).
    That last one might be unobtanium though unless they updated the propellant to something less twitchy or if you can find a can of it that isn't an aerosol. https://www.wbparts.com/rfq/8030-00-938-1947.html

Comment

Thank you MRusan for the info. I'll look up those ideas and do some research on them. I appreciate your reply.

Comment

Thought of something else later last night. Not sure why I didn't think of it in the first place.
        You COULD try a thin coating of LubriPlate 630-AA.
        Kind of just get it shiny and wipe off any excess leaving a slight sheen. Like an old ad used to say, "a little dab will do you".
        It ends up leaving a protective film on there that kind of gets right into the steel. Might be easier to find then anything else (except auto tranny fluid).

Comment

I've found rust under the rear handguard on rifles I've worked on. Without a protective film of something (grease is best) condensation will collect and lead to rust in that area. I've used "Ed's Red" myself for cleaning firearms, and it does seem to break down rust.
          The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
          The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Thank you Smokey. I appreciate the additional info. I am planning to mix up a little Ed's Red and try it.

Comment

I'm surprised no one mentioned that your receiver was made by SA for IHC.
              Jon

Comment

Jon, thanks for the info. I did just come across a list of IHC serial numbers made by SA last night when searching CMP forums or one of these threads. I have looked at so many I can't remember which one I found those on. So I guess I really have 2 SA receivers rather than the IHC I was looking for, but it is all good. It is interesting to have one of the variations of IHC labeled receivers.

I will attach some pictures soon (possibly tonight) of the barrel and wanted to see if you or Orlando, or any of the other veterans of these rifles can tell me if the barrel might be original to the receiver.

Comment

SA receivers are Arrow Heads and Gap Letter MOSTLY. There are some Postage Stamps SA/IHC as well. HRA supplied IHC with some receivers just before they ended their contract. Those are all Postage Stamp receivers. I believe my IHC is an IHC receiver but I was told years ago that it MIGHT/COULD possibly be an SA due to its s/n range. Only it and the Almighty One know and neither is gonna tell.
                  Jon

Comment

Working...
                  X