M1 IHC Garand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M1 IHC Garand

I just received an M1 IHC Garand, SN 4541051 from the CMP and would like some of you more enlightened M1 people to give me some information about it. I would like to know when it was made. LMR BBl dated 6-1953 and the stock has the 1/2" DOD stamp and Julian date of Letters - "OR or OB", and Julian Date of "2282". Standard circle sans-serif "P". Everything on it except hammer, trigger guard and safety are IHC. Since everything is standard IHC, I did not send photos. Thanks in advance. Gunnyarlow
    Last edited by gunnyarlow; 03-13-2021, 01:01 PM. Reason: Some additional info needed: I believe the "OR" stands for Overton/Richardson with the stock being made in August, 1952. I was told that Richardson provided machinery for IHC early produc

According to the following site, that serial is a 1953 year of manufacture. I'll leave the more fun stuff for the other guys.

Comment

It's an IHC/IHC receiver with the "Postage Stamp" logo. Most commonly encountered variation. Nothing overly special about it other than it's an IHC and they made the fewest of the 4 makers. They're usually terrific shooters due to the LMR barrels.
      Jon

Comment

• gunnyarlow
        gunnyarlow commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Jon !

Your IHC sounds like a keeper. How about some photos. IHCs are my favorite as i drove a IHC H and 3 wheeled M farm tractor as teenager. Rumor mill reported the Government gave IHC M1 Garand contract as a consolation for a Tank contract that IHC had but got cancelled due to WWII ending. IHC was a major government contractor during WWII.

Comment

• gunnyarlow
        gunnyarlow commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for you comment RDS, - We had a Farmall "CUB" while growing up on our truck farm raising mostly corn and hay. I understand we are not alone in our deluded thinking about Farmalls and IHCs. The boys and girls at the CMP did a great job and sent me a good one with TE l and ME 1+ and all correct except for safety and hammer which will be changed shortly. Will send photos shortly. With the LMR bbl. it should make a great shooter. As an aside, my uncle had JD "B" and grandpa had a Ford 8N but the Cub will always be my favorite.
        Last edited by gunnyarlow; 03-23-2021, 12:35 AM.

MY brothers IH/Case tractors are so big you can probably fit a cub in the cab. My Dad has a IHC C that he had restored. It belonged to a farmer my father worked for back in the mid 1940s. May Dad was only 13 or 14 yrs old at the time. As a little kid the farm we lived on used JDs. You never forget the sound of those two cylinder JDs.
      I also was lucky as my CMP draw was an IHC. Its barrel date I believe is 11-53. Both my match rifles were built on IHC receivers. A lot of IHCs went to the US Marines and the military assistance program. Gotta love those "cornbinders".

Comment

My FIL had 3 Cubs, to lazy to change implements so he just bought tractors instead. Just kidding, but I did keep one after he passed.

Comment

Originally posted by RDS View Post
          MY brothers IH/Case tractors are so big you can probably fit a cub in the cab. My Dad has a IHC C that he had restored. It belonged to a farmer my father worked for back in the mid 1940s. May Dad was only 13 or 14 yrs old at the time. As a little kid the farm we lived on used JDs. You never forget the sound of those two cylinder JDs.
          I also was lucky as my CMP draw was an IHC. Its barrel date I believe is 11-53. Both my match rifles were built on IHC receivers. A lot of IHCs went to the US Marines and the military assistance program. Gotta love those "cornbinders".
          Our blood flows red and white too. We have a one owner C to this day. Was overhauled in the late 60's to essentially the Super C standard and had the top end fixed one more time since because of the switch to unleaded gas. Has a sulky plow, cordwood saw, and sicklebar mower that are all original to the tractor from day one. Dad and I are the only ones who can properly start it or change out the implements. It's been sitting a while, but it still goes. Stored it right. Need to find a source for plow points though. We used to have a used A, but my uncle didn't take great care of it. Always wanted a Cub with a sicklebar and a belly mower for certain areas I mow. The C is kind of overkill these days for that particular job.

Comment

• gunnyarlow
            gunnyarlow commented
            Editing a comment
            Our CUB had the sickle and snow plow blade as well as the cultivators. Our disc was an old horse disc with the seat on it, we had to pile cement blocks on it for weight as nobody was foolish enough to ride on it while discing. Funny how this brings back all those memories and why it makes my 1953 IHC Garand just that more special.

I stand corrected my fathers tractor is not a C but IHC BN.
          Last edited by RDS; 03-24-2021, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Finally got around to sharing some photos of my new IHC M1 Garand. New at this !

Comment

Here are 3 more that didn't turn out this morning

Comment

Working...
              X