Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NAVY Garand

Hello
    I have a or think I have a Navy Garand... I bought it as such back in the 80s.. the side marking on the barrel don't say the usual
    7.62 NATO

Here is what is sez on the barrel. has like 3 different proof markings??

I was ready some artical abt this and what it was reading is some were marked 7.62 NATO and some were
    marked differently, or did i read that wrong?? Is this a possible NAVY Garand or do i have a wannabe Garand
    that was rechambered or rebarreled to shoot 308.

i posted below a pic of the barrel if anyone can make heads or tails of it...

Thank You

Last edited by Greatfullded; 01-08-2021, 05:55 PM.

Comment

military barrel would be stamped 7.62 MM. The 308 is civilian marking
      Last edited by RCS; 01-08-2021, 09:39 PM.

Comment

This is why im here posting my question... I wrote to a dude back east who is like suppose to be a top Garand dealer... he said to me the barrel looks like a Mod 1 barrel which is greek to me..??

but i bought this back in the late 80s as a Navy Garand.. but just getting all opnions, if this is not a Navy then its a well done 308 conversion but whats with the 3 Proof markings?? it almost looked like it was done at Springfield armory which is why i need opnions cause a civilian markings wont put or stamp ( T 308 ) on the barrel and undergoes 3 proof markings??

Comment

The barrel was made at Springfield Armory in April 1954 and chambered in 30-06. If its now chambered in.308 per the marking, It is most likely a civilian conversion done with a chamber sleeve. Chamber sleeves were in use about 40 or so years ago. Problem was they did not tend to stay affixed to the chamber. They tended to eject with the cartridge. I suggest you have the rifle examined by a good M1 Garand gunsmith. The US Navy did convert some M1 Garands using a chamber sleeve in the mid 1960s. Those barrels are stamped 7.62 MM not 308. The T stamp was done when the barrel was made in 1954.

Comment

Well a gunsmith back east tole me as one of my post said .... he said this may be a Mod 1 barrel.. i didnt know what that ment.. was it a early trial for the Navy to test it before they committed to it and made barrels specificly made for the 308 rd?? anyways... here is my question to the members... as RDS said.. i should find a good M1 Garand gunsmith in the area to check this out... Ayone know of a good gunsmith in the Los Angeles ares or mostly in the Orange County aree?? i would appreciate it... ty

Comment

It is NOT a USGI conversion, they were NOT marked 308. As already told its a commercial conversion

Comment

The question I have is whether it truely is chambered in 308 still. Did you try to chamber a 30-06 round in it? If it is actually 308 it may have been sleeved back when with one of the commercial sleeves were available in the past. I remember seeing them back then. Fact is a company named ACE was making them early into the 2000's. Or, it could be a return rifle converted overseas.

Some foriegn Govt's also installed sleeves and I've seen some with that exact "308" stamping, in the same location, on the barrel. So, it's quite possible it's not a commercial conversion at all but a return rifle, possibly from Italy or Greece.

Comment

Italian military did not use chamber sleeves. The Italians cut a 1/2" off the breach end of US GI 30-06 barrels. Than they rethreaded the barrels and chambered the barrel in 7.62mm Nato. The butt stock was shorten at 1/2" the front end and ferrule reinstalled. The rear handguard was shortened a 1/2".
                  Last edited by RDS; 01-17-2021, 07:20 PM.

Comment

i DO Believe when i took this to the gunshow way back in the early 90s someone looked in the breach and said this looks like it has a sleeve... so im
                    thinking more that this was a civilian conversion not military.. it was done clean... and the rifle is 100% correct for this time period too.. 4million serial#

Comment

Anyone could buy the adapter to put in the chamber. My BIL had a Garand in the early 90's and while I was stationed in Mass I used to go to the Ye Old Conn gun shows and there was a guy there that used to have several tables of surplus gun parts and I purchased 3 of the chamber sleeves from him. They came right out of the military envelope. I gave two to him and kept one. Unfortunately I put it in a save place and cannot find it. However, I still have one of the sleeves somewhere from one of the commercial kits that were sold later. There must have been a surplus of ammo then or mil 30-06 was hard to find, I'll have to ask him why he wanted to convert it.
                      Last edited by CCyooper; 01-25-2021, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X