Help on origin of post war (?) M1 Garand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help on origin of post war (?) M1 Garand

Hi guys - new here. I have two M1 Garands, both chambered in .308. One is a CMP rebuild, and the other came through a gunbroker purchase. That’s the curious one - it’s a Springfield Arms, w SN 7002543, which from my limited searching seems to be a number that was never produced. See photo. Any help or info appreciated. It shoots well, btw.
    Attached Files

The original Springfield Armory closed in 1968. It was a federal armory. The Springfield Armory of today is a commercial company. They copyrighted the name Springfield Armory. The modern Springfield Armory produced civilian versions of the garand starting in the 80's. They started with s/n in the 7,000,000 range to differentiate from the original garands.

Comment

Ha! Mystery solved. Thanks!

Comment

The commercial SAI M1 Garands were built with new made investment cast receivers, surplus parts and new Wilson barrels. The parts can be US GI or Beretta made parts marked PB or BMB. Have you shot it yet? If so how does it shoot and function?

Comment

I probably have 200 rounds or less through it. Functions fine, shoots accurately; 1-2MOA to start. Shot some steel case it didn’t like - jammed some, then Handloading w brass. Experimenting on bullet weight, powders, and charge weights.

Comment

Working...
          X