Help on M1Garand ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help on M1Garand ID

I just recently purchase a M1 Garand at a local gun shop. It looks like all the parts are New never fired. The reciever is a ser# 5862759 Most of the parts are SA but there are a couple of Winchester parts.I have included a photo of the barrel. Any comments would appreciated.

What parts are Winchester? Does the stock have the DOD stamp?

Comment

Trigger guard,operating rod,bolt,hammer are Winchester. Stock is walnut no markings

Comment

Its been thru a rebuild program. Are there any electric pencil etchings in the right receiver leg? If you wanted to correct it the parts you need are fairly common. Your Winchester parts are worth more than the SA parts you need.

Comment

No etchings,Just a stamped # F8528291 and T3A. I'm just interested in Born on date and if barrel is a target barrel. Thanks

Comment

Specific dates of manufacture were not kept for post war garands. 1955 – 1957 S/N 5,793,848 to 6,099,905 is what is listed for Springfield. The 5/55 barrel date is probably close to when your rifle was assembled.

Comment

Another question I have is how this rifle would have made it out to the civilian market in a unused condition.

Comment

Your rifle is not new, not unused and not original. Springfield would not put Winchester parts on a new rifle. As RDS stated, it has been through at least one rebuild. Whether it has been through a rebuild at an armory or a hobbyist workbench, there is no way to tell, Records were not kept. Mostly likely during the rebuild process the rifle was reparkerized so it may look like a new finish, but it is NOT unused.

Comment

The barrel on your rifle is standard barrel for a M1 Garand of its vintage. It is not a national match barrel. Please post a photo of the breach end of the barrel with the bolt retracted.
                  Are there any markings at all on the butt stock?

Comment

This is a new receiver and barrel. Absolutely no wear on the receiver or barrel, have checked it with a bore scope. Bolt is slightly used, Winchester vintage Dec. 1940- June 1941. Barrel is NEW except for the the 3 rds I fired though it. Have pictures of chamber and rifling.

Comment

• RDS
                      RDS commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Have you checked the throat erosion with a gauge and checked the muzzle with a muzzle wear gauge? Is the barrel breach ring in the white or is it parked? Please share more photos with us.

Barrel and receiver may be refinshed......................would need detailed pictures to know for sure

Comment

Originally posted by fdmcmu View Post
                      This is a new receiver and barrel. Absolutely no wear on the receiver or barrel, have checked it with a bore scope. Bolt is slightly used, Winchester vintage Dec. 1940- June 1941. Barrel is NEW except for the the 3 rds I fired though it. Have pictures of chamber and rifling.
                      No, not new. A borevscope tells you it has clean sharp rifling but doesn't measure wear. You'll need a MW and TE gauge for that but post war barrels can be decieving. Some will often measure as high as 2+ MW and 2 TE when brand new. You have an arsenal rebuild no doubt. With a barrel as good as you describe the receiver may actually be original finish or.....maybe not. Barrel date is about right for the serial number. You have a typical post war rebuilt mixmaster. Look and see if the barrel breech is shiny and pretty and the chamber the same. That's called "in the white" and is an indication that the barreled receiver "may" have original finish. But, even that's not actually 100%. At some rebuild armories the barrels were removed before a reciever was refinished and then reinstalled. But, if in the white I would assume the BR wasn't refinished. If the barrel breech is finished/"in the black" the BR was refinished as a unit at the armory.

Comment

Working...
                      X