Arlington Ordnance packing Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arlington Ordnance packing Box

Afternoon Folks: Something a little different this time - managed to pick up an original Arlington Ordnance packing box for the M1 Rifle. This is cardboard only and not in bad shape but sort of delicate in nature. I purchased locally some egg crate foam to line the inside of the box to maintain shape and condition. My question to you folks is: should I use a spray on adhesive to attach the foam to the cardboard box or possibly use 2 sided tape to do the job. This is the first packing box I have seen so want to preserve it as best as I can for display only and pass on to the grandkids when I am no longer on this sphere. I would be interested in finding out your thoughts on how to preserve this item. Thanks in advance. Gunnyarlow

You do know that Arlington Ordnance was a commercial company not USGI?

Comment

• gunnyarlow
      gunnyarlow commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes - I know that post-war they refurbished GI M1s from Korea using US built barrels in the 1990s.

Personally I don't think it's worth the hassle but hey, it's your rifle to with what ever tickles your fancy. It's not really like you're "preserving history".
    Just sayin'.......
    Jon

Comment

• gunnyarlow
      gunnyarlow commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Jon, thanks for the comments, as you say preserving history is not in the cards for the AO rifle, but history is a multi faceted animal with many twists and turns in its journey. For the purist or military collector the AO is just a commercial off-shoot of the "Real Thing", as this uses parts of the "Real Thing" this item may be a collectors item in its own way somewhere in the future. You are right again-this "tickles my fancy" and is a shooter much better than I am and is really not less than the rifles put out by CMP - (not down grading them at all). Jon, I really value your input - keep it coming.

Now you need the instruction sheet that was in the box.

Comment

• gunnyarlow
      gunnyarlow commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a reproduction of that item.
Working...
X