Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is $1,999 overpriced for a Springfield Garand with SN in 5.9 mil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is $1,999 overpriced for a Springfield Garand with SN in 5.9 mil?

I was at Cabela's the other day and saw this Garand by Springfield Armory that looked from what I could tell in really good shape. The serial number was in the 5,9xx,xxx range. So my guess it was a Korean War rifle. The price tag was $1,999, and it was my understanding these Garands usually go from about $1,000 to $1,500 if they're very decent. But maybe the prices have changed. is 2 grand a fair price for this kind of rifle? If so, what are some key things I should look for to ensure my money is spent correctly? I don't want to pay 2 grand and find out later it was really worth 1 grand.

Thanks for any advice.

I'd go on Gunbroker, Gunsinternational, Gunsamerica, etc. and look for a gun in a similar serial number range with similar numbered/marked parts and in similar condition to the one you're looking at and check the Buy It Now or fixed listed prices. You may not find an exact match to the Cabela's gun, but one fairly close to it would be a pretty good barometer. Remember those are only "asking" prices and the guns may or may not sell at those prices. Also bear in mind that if you buy on line there would likely be shipping costs that you wouldn't have to pay if go direct to Cabela's. Good luck!
    Jon
    Last edited by olddog; 09-19-2020, 12:30 PM.

Comment

With out photos and a data sheet its hard to put a value on it. Its a post Korean war manufacture. Is it a National Match? What is the ME and TE measurements? I have found in the past Cabela's would negotiate on price. Also I have found Cabela's used guns prices vary from store to store depending on what part of the country they are in. I have found that the Hamburg Pa. store used gun prices were more reasonable than other locations.

Comment

Cabella's is not known for "deals". You need to take someone with you who is well versed in the M1 rifle to know what to look for. You can not learn enough about them in a couple of evening sessions on the 'nets to make an educated assessment. It takes years of study to learn them.
        Jon

Comment

Yes, the rifle is grossly overpriced.

Comment

At Cabellas every thing is over priced, except some prices are on sale it’s usually thru the store it’s called marketing and it works, I’ve found in Fort Worth they don’t deal at all. They buy low and sell high especially on used guns. A shop in .Arlington had a M-1 Garand Korean vintage rifle, priced at $5,000.00. I spoke to a [email protected] college friend his son worked at the Fort Worth store, most of the used rifles were shipped in from other parts of the country, where they knew they could get a higher price. Any gun that was bought in Fort Worth was always shipped out, they never kept what they bought used. He claimed they had a lot of used guns in the system, they have buyers that do estate sales, really don’t know if that’s true for sure.

Comment

I just bought a couple Springfields from the CMP. One in the 4 mill and one in the 5 mill range. Both had barrels of +1 and a headspace of 1, both had original military barrels. I only paid $750 each. I’ve stopped in at the Cabelas near me and their prices are almost double the actual going price for a firearm.

Comment

My last M-1 was a CMP had it for 28 years, that seems hard to believe, bought it at Camp Perry in Ohio, I was flying for Bill Rosenbaulm, I think I paid $225.00 they had just gotten a bunch from the reserves, they had a bunch of 1903s but I had gotten a 1903 when I was on ?Active duty. Another couple of crew members were with me, they also bought. I didn’t want to take it on the freighter, so I took it all apart shipped the stock and receiver removed the barrel that really surprised me it came off so easy, all the parts and pieces I put in my suit case and flight bag. Went thru customs once they never said a word, after hauling that stuff around for 3 weeks I finally got home. Springfield in the two million range, should have kept it, had sellers remorse for years.

Comment

Working...
                X