Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with IHC

Good evening,

I'm 37, from Oklahoma with a wife and 2 boys. I spent 6 years with the 45th Infantry from 2001-2007. We enjoy the outdoors, working on old cars, guns, vintage watches and about anything mechanical.

I received an IHC Garand today from my Father-in-law after his recent passing. He was a great man, a Marine, and a retired Army First Sargent, and a Past Master of the local Masonic Lodge. I can't say enough good things about him, we got along very well.

My wife received a US 1917 Eddystone, and I got a Garand. As such, we plan to keep them and pass them on as he did. But, I think you all can help me verify if things look correct.

I've done some googling and reading, and I think everything that should be marked IHC, is. And the barrel is marked LMR. Beyond that, I dont know if the numbers on the receiver and trigger group should match, etc.

Forgive the lint and dust, he's probably owned it 40 years or more.

Thanks,

Curtis

Comment

Comment

Nice looking IHC, the numbers on side of reciever and trigger housing are drawing numbers , different numbers for each part and time part was made. Looks like your rifle was imported by Federal Ordnance. Are there any markings on stock/ barrel channel?

Comment

Thanks for the information Durango! Here's a couple pics of the markings I've found the channel stamp is off center, so I played with the contrast to hopefully make it more legible.

Comment

Comment

From what I'm finding in regards to Federal Ordnance, it appears they were the importer and, at that time, these were only available to members of law enforcement.

Import markings never seem to help things, but what kind of impact does if have in this case? Is the information I've found correct? Like I said, no interest in selling either way, I just like to learn as much as I can.

Thanks again!

Comment

The ONLY serial number on an M1 rifle is the number on the receiver heel. ALL other numbers are drawing, or part numbers.
                Jon

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate the responses.

Comment

The numbers on an IHC stock will be in the bottom of the barrel channel proper, NOT on the edge where yours are. Take a picture of the top of the stock from the horseshoe to about 2" forward of it. IHC has a unique sculpting feature on the right side top edge. Remove the receiver for a clear view. Please make sure the photo is in focus with no fuzziness.
                    Jon

Comment

I think this is what you are asking for, please let me know if you need something different. I tried to take different angles. Thanks a lot!

Comment

I will say, in real life, the stamping is as close the the center bottom of the channel as it is to the side wall of the channel. The angle of my pictures to get the best contrast make the stamping appear higher on the channel wall than it really is.

Comment

Here's the box of ammo I got with it, about 50 full en bloc and a couple bags with about 50 rds.

Comment

Yep, IHC stock for sure.
                            Jon

Comment

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X