South Korean Arlington Ordinance M1 Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Korean Arlington Ordinance M1 Rifle

I would like to get a little more information on my Arlington Ordinance rebuild. Since I purchased from an estate I don't have much info except on the few blogs available. The barrel is a replacement and is just marked "Arlington Ordinance etc" with no date or bbl manufacturer - as these were imported in the early '90s one would assume this rifle to be redone around that time frame. The complete gas system also has been restored along with some other parts. I replaced the gas cylinder lock screw with one from (Ammo Garand, hope its ok to say it) as I plan in the future to maybe take it after White Tails here in Wisconsin. I know some of you will scream "Over kill" - all you need is a 150 grain bullet, but I want to be able to go higher if I should so desire. Anyway I stray from my original intent - Just want as much info on the Arlington Ordinance redoes as possible - remember this is not a Blue Sky, nor does it have any other bbl markings. Thanks for reading my "windy" info search.

Arlington Ordnance was the importer--period. They did NOT do any rebuilding. They were effectively the same as Blue Sky, just a different importer.
    The barrel is stamped "A.......O.....Inc", not etc.
    Jon

Comment

• gunnyarlow
      gunnyarlow commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Jon: Thanks again for your follow up- Sorry to mislead, by etc I meant: " Arlington Ordinance, Arlington, Va., 30-06" . I just assumed (sorry) anyone familiar with AO or Blue Sky would know what I meant. I am mainly interested in finding out who made the replacement barrels for AO. This modified M1 is such a tack driver I was just interested in finding out who made such a quality barrel. I realize they were just an importer but can't find out if the barrels were made in this country, Korea or where. The stock is also new walnut - the M1 probably has less than 50 rounds through it. Again, thanks for your input Jon.

When you pull the op rod back there should be letters and numbers on the right side of the barrel. If so, that should tell you who made the barrel. Again, A O didn't. do any work on the rifles. They were the importers and what ever barrel was on the receiver when they bought and imported it, that's it. If there's a barrel on it that isn't USGI, then there's a 100% chance that some one other than AO had it rebarreled..
    Jon
    Last edited by TJT; 05-29-2020, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Who's name is on the receiver and what's the serial number? If you feel uncomfortable telling the complete number, put xx or xxx for the last 2 or 3 digits. With that info we can tell you when the receiver was "born".
      Jon

Comment

• gunnyarlow
        gunnyarlow commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Jon: In answer to you question about barrel marking - when the op rod is pulled rearward that is where the " Arlington Ordinance, Arlington, Va 30-06" is located - no other markings anywhere on the bbl. The receiver is a Springfield SN #1538665 (April, 1943) - also has the dipped receiver Really a beautiful piece and shoots well besides

Wow! A lead dipped heel. I think they look so cool. Unfortunately, none of mine are dipped. Makes 'em look sexy.
      Jon

Comment

I worked for a large importer, wholesaler and retailer back in the late 1980s thru the late mid 1990s. I dealt with Arlington Ordnance on a weekly basis as we wholesaled Arlington Ordnance M1 Garands and M1 Carbines. Arlington Ordnance had a warehouse and rebuild facility in Martinsburg WV that shipped us M1 Garands and M1 Carbines by the pallet loads. The company I worked for sold Arlington Ordnance the US GI M1 Garand rebarreling machine they used to rebarrel the M1 Garands. Arlington Ordnance used new barrels in both 30-06 and .308 in the rebuild program. The barrels were supplied by Citadel in Calif. We also sold Citadel M1 Garand barrels. Arlington Ordnance also in the Martinsburg facility assembled M1 Garand Tankers in 30-06 and .308. Your M1 Garand appears to be one of M1s that Arlington Ordnance rebuilt with a new Citadel barrel at their Martinsburg WV Facility.

Comment

Originally posted by TJT View Post
          Arlington Ordnance was the importer--period. They did NOT do any rebuilding. They were effectively the same as Blue Sky, just a different importer.
          The barrel is stamped "A.......O.....Inc", not etc.
          Jon
          They did do a rebuild program in their Martinsburg WV facility near the end. They rebuild the M1 Garands that had barrels that were so worn the rifles were not salable in the condition they were in. The rifles had new Citadel barrels installed in either 30-06 or .308. They also assembled M1 Garand Tankers in both 30-06 and .308. I have one of the Tankers in my collection.

Comment

• gunnyarlow
            gunnyarlow commented
            Editing a comment
            RDS: Thank you so much for the great information - I have been seeking that information since I first saw the stamping on the barrel !

Ok gentlemen,
          I stand corrected. My apologies.
          Jon

Comment

Quick question: how reliable are the AO T26's (erroneously called "tankers)? My late father was in the 503rd PIR in the Pacific theater in WWII and had one. Dad passed when I was only 24 (1979) so wasn't able to ask all the questions. The only thing I remember him saying about it was that it was a full-size M1 with an 18" barrel. I've always wanted one because of Dad having one. If any of you have Duff's red book, go to page 101 where there is reference to it via a first-hand account. That info was given to Duff by me. I kept in touch with a couple of Dad's jump buddies thru their reunion ass'n and they were kind enough to oblige me with the info on the T26.
            Jon
            Last edited by TJT; 06-02-2020, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Jon
              You might want to do an internet search. Their seems to be several different stories about wartime T26 rifles. Try a search for the 1946 "Record of Army Ordnance Research and Development." Its reported in this report that the "Pacific Theater" requested 15,000 RIFLE, US CALIBER .30 T26 in July of 1945 for Airborne Troops. Springfield Armory estimated 5 months for completion. Requirement was dropped after V-J Day August 14, 1945.

Comment

There were 200 made up in theater for the testing. VJ Day ended the program at the armory. All that you have said is correct, BUT I have first-hand info on them in a hand-written letter by Dad's jump buddy. Hard to beat first-hand info. The letter on page 101 in Duff's red book is the letter written to me verbatum.
                There are only 2 known originals in existence. 1 is at SNHS (which I have seen) and the other is at West Point. Supposedly all the rest were returned to standard configuration after the war.
                Jon
                Last edited by TJT; 06-02-2020, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Jon
                  I have to believe they were reliable or Springfield Armory never would have entertained producing them originally . Arlington Ordnance copied the GI T26 design. Mine is in .308 and is very reliable. Other companies made Tankers but they suffered reliability issues from lack of quality control in my opinion and did not follow the T26 design exactly. If you can find an Arlington Ordnance Tanker they tend to be expensive. In 30-06 they are loud and produce a large muzzle flash.
                  Last edited by RDS; 06-02-2020, 09:06 PM.

Comment

The excessive muzzle flash was a weak point that the original test platoon commented on.
                    Jon

Comment

The T26 M1 was developed in the Phillipines during WWII for jungle fighting. The troops sent samples to Springfield Armory for testing, but by the time they got going, the war was over, & the idea was dropped. Sometime , in the early 1960's an outfit in California called Fed Ord bought a large amount of demilled parts. The welded the pieces of the receiver ,(and did a beautiful job-on some of them you can barely tell- in my 30 years experience as a GARAND gunsmith I have never heard of one failing,) The discrepancy between the serial number & Modification number on the right leg gives it away. Fed Ord copied the T26, but called it a "Tanker", which sounds more macho than "jungle rifle." They spliced '03 barrels with Garand chamber sleeves, & build standard M1's, as well as the Tanker.
                      I, the Garand Guy, have made up many Tankers & have them for sale.

Comment

Working...
                      X