Letterkenny Army Depot M1 Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letterkenny Army Depot M1 Rifle

Greetings: I would like to get some information if possible on an M1 Garand I purchased from my neighbors estate. It is a Springfield Armory SN: 5736xx ( April, 1942), The rifle was purchased from the CMP in 2000 as a service grade rifle. It does not have the SA/GHS on the left side but does have the circle serif "P" on the underside near the pistol grip. The stock was lightly sanded at some period but retains a rich, dark age color at this time. Now that the background is out of the way I would like to get to the meat of my inquiry. The M1 was likely restored for the Viet Nam war as the receiver is marked on the legs: LEAD (Letterkenny Army Depot) 1-66 - etched or scratched into the legs - The barrel has was changed SA 8/65/. The balance is the usual CMP or Letterkenny "Mixmaster" parts. The rifle shoots wonderfully and am satisfied in every way. From the articles I have read, these Viet Nam rifles are becoming a collectors item in themselves. If anyone has any information as to where these might have served, or how many may have been restored at LEAD, or any other juicy gossip about this weapon, please share it with me. I would certainly appreciate it. I almost forget to mention that it also has a sanserif "P" right above the other stock cartouche - maybe from LEAD?
    Last edited by gunnyarlow; 05-28-2020, 03:44 PM.

Is there an orange triangle on the bottom of the pistol grip? That's where LEAD marked the stocks when they rebuilt the rifles. If it's there, guard it with your life. It's a VERY desirable rebuild mark. I'm not saying don't enjoy shooting the rifle, just treat that stamp with kidd gloves.
    The rifle was rebuilt in January of '66 so the rebuild date and barrel date are in the right time frame for each other. Just as an aside, the '60's SA barrels were some of the best ever. My DCM "one per life time" is a SA 3.7 million (May '45) with an RRAD rebuild date of July '66 with a December '65 barrel. It STILL shoots "lights out". It's probably my favorite of the 4 M1 rifles I have, mostly because of what I had to go through to get it. That 18 month wait from paper work submission to receiving the rifle was a L-O-N-G time, but well worth the wait. It was a lottery system and they only sold 600 rifles per year. You felt pretty special when you were notified that it was coming and the USPS delivered it to your door (signature required, of course).
    Jon
    Last edited by TJT; 05-28-2020, 06:04 PM.

Comment

• gunnyarlow
      gunnyarlow commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Jon - thanks for the response - unfortunately the triangle is missing. I did everything to check it out - it is still a great shooter and someday maybe a legitimate collectors item in itself.

The rebuilds are becoming a collector niche by themselves. I would advise you to leave it as is and don't try to '"correct" it by changing parts. It's in "issue" condition as it is. They were rebuilt to be issued in case of a military emergency requiring their use.
    Jon
    Last edited by TJT; 05-28-2020, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Here’s mine. A May 1942 Springfield unissued from LEAD. CMP Service Grade acquired June 2015. All internals have matching finish with exterior, so I assume they are as is from 1965. She never gets shot. Just lubed up and left in the safe. No signs that she was ever shot. ME of 1 and TE of 2.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by SA1941; 07-09-2020, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Last pic....
        Attached Files

Comment

International Harvester (IHC) LEAD rebuild 8-64
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X