My first CMP Garand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first CMP Garand

Hello folks I just made my first CMP M1 purchase. First of all the rifle is a seveice grade with a new Walnut stock. The Springfield receiver per the serial number made around 1956, but the barrel is dated 1949, the bolt 1943 and the fire control group is 1944-5. Are these rifles basically parts rifles? I'm not disappointed as it's a fine rifle I just wonder if this was policy

Most of the rifles CMP has in inventory are rifles that have been returned from other countries. When CMP receives these rifles they could be complete rifles, partially complete rifles or just a receiver. They could have been completely rebuilt from parts or just had parts replaced over time either here or overseas. The military doesn't care about the "correctness" of a rifle, they just want a functioning rifle. If you rifle was returned as just a receiver, then yes, CMP pulled parts off the shelf and built a rifle.
    Last edited by jak; 04-19-2020, 08:00 PM.

Comment

CMP Garands are basically all mixmasters with a few exceptions of original rifles that go to auction

Comment

An M1 rifle has a "trigger group", not a "fire control group".. Too much "black rifle", youngster.
        Jon

Comment

Here's an article on how Garands were overhauled and rebuilt at multiple ordinance depots and other places as needed:
          https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...rand-rebuilds/
          The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
          The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Originally posted by TJT View Post
            An M1 rifle has a "trigger group", not a "fire control group".. Too much "black rifle", youngster.
            Jon
            Time passes, the black rifle and the boys who first carried it are in their seventies now. I was the only, member of my team who carried an M2 in M1A1 configuration as my secondary rifle and later a Car 15 and I'm in my mid sixties.

If memory serves the black rifle has served in active duty longer than any other. I don't know if the original poster is younger or not but if so I'm glad to see the younger generation take an interest in the Garand, it's worth remembering.

Comment

Although it is heavy, the Garand makes a pretty good utility rifle. I used to live in an area where moose and bear are common. An accurate, quick-firing rifle in 30-06 is a real asset when charged by these critters.
              The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
              The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey View Post
                Although it is heavy, the Garand makes a pretty good utility rifle. I used to live in an area where moose and bear are common. An accurate, quick-firing rifle in 30-06 is a real asset when charged by these critters.
                I agree, which is why I'm working 180 grain hunting loads for my shooter.

Comment

Working...
                X