IHC Garand help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IHC Garand help

Hello. I have a new to me IHC Garand from CMP. Can you guys help me figure out some things? Serial number is 5138508. The barrel is marked S-A-2-52 but the drawing number stamped on it is D6535338 45 A164A. According to my research the barrel is an IHC with the drawing number saying 1953-1956 but the SA stamp says otherwise? Also the research on the IHC receiver date is 1954-1956, however the drawing number is 652891-X. Which comes up as an HRA number from 1954-1956? Thank for any info. I’ll attempt to post some pics.
    Attached Files

Its a SA barrel and a IHC receiver, where you getting your info from?

Comment

Originally posted by Orlando View Post
      Its a SA barrel and a IHC receiver, where you getting your info from?

here is a link to a site that gave me that info. Through my research (googling) I’ve read that some IHC receivers were made by SA and HRA. Is that not correct?

http://usriflecal30m1.com/Parts/Part...hangePage=1_50

Comment

Be cautious with that site. It's full of inaccuracies. Orlando is spot-on. Yes, SA gave some receivers to IHC early on (4 million s/n range) and HRA gave them some receivers VERY late in their production. Your IHC was re-barreled some time in its life with the SA barrel. I too, believe it is an IHC-IHC receiver.
        As for the dating, IHC and HRA only made M1's between '53-'56.
        Jon
        Last edited by TJT; 12-24-2019, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Forget that web site, while it is easy to use as you have found it is full of inaccuracys

Comment

Forget that web site, while it is easy to use as you have found it is full of inaccuracys
            Thank you both for the replies. So is it possible that the barrel SA-2-52 is the original barrel since it’s a later IHC receiver (5138508)?

Comment

There were some SA barrels found on in the 5.04 - 5.15 serial range, mostly 1953 SA barrels. Please post a closeup ,clear picture of stampings on side of barrel

Comment

Originally posted by Jhash03XX View Post
                So is it possible that the barrel SA-2-52 is the original barrel since it’s a later IHC receiver (5138508)?
                Possible? Yes, but as Mr Spock would've said, "Highly improbable". To have a barrel installed 3 years after it was made is a little hard to swallow. Maybe a matter of a few months, but a few years difference? I don't see THAT happening. You need to know what went on internally and how the system worked and it's too involved to write here. I would suggest you get some GOOD M1 books and peruse them thoroughly.
                Jon
                Last edited by TJT; 12-24-2019, 11:40 PM.

Comment

There were some SA barrels found on in the 5.04 - 5.15 serial range, mostly 1953 SA barrels. Please post a closeup ,clear picture of stampings on side of barrel
                  Here are a couple
                  Attached Files

Comment

Its a replacement barrel

Comment

There will OCCASIONALLY be SA barrels found on EARLY IHC's in the 4 million s/n range. Barrels will be dated late '52 or early '53. Orlando, again, is spot-on. Your barrel is a replacement.
                      Jon
                      Last edited by TJT; 12-30-2019, 07:33 PM.

Comment

hello, I have a IHC M1 with a receiver s/n 5050587, SA barrel stamped SA D6535448 5 53 A186B, correct IHC front sight, non IHC stock as there is no Julien stamp and it is wider at the receiver end. The stock does have the P stamp in pistol grip area and cross cannon stamp on left side. looking to identify originality, thanks.

Comment

IHC used SA1953 barrels from serial range 5.04 through 5.15 , yours "might" be original to the rifle. Look on side of barrel where it is stamped. If its a barrel installed by IHC it should have a punch mark on side of barrel just under where the rear hand gaurd sets. As far as the rest of your rifle you would need to post detailed pictures of all parts
                          Last edited by Orlando; 02-22-2020, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X