Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yes or No IHC

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Yes or No IHC

    Found a 54 IHC Garand with a TE of 5 and ME of 4
    All visible parts are IHC and 54 LMR barrel. $895.00 should I pass or take? TE ME has been discussed beyond horse is dead ...so may be loose or possibly good shooter. Any thoughts? Thanks

    #2
    Is there a punch mark on the barrel between the LMR and drawing number? Just because it's an LMR barrel doesn't mean it's correct to that receiver. Personally, with the high ME and TE numbers, I'd pass. It MAY be a good shooter but it's a gamble I wouldn't be willing to take. Just sayin'.........
    Also, does the stock have the Julian Calender date in the barrel channel of the stock? Proper IHC stocks will cost a pretty penny if it's not an IHC stock and you plan to change it. Does the bullet guide have the large or small clam shell stake mark? Large is IHC, small is HRA.. Do you know how to tell an IHC follower arm?
    Just curious.
    Jon
    Last edited by TJT; 11-27-2019, 04:51 PM.

    Comment


      #3
      There are several different IHC receivers. Can you post photos of the receiver and the numbers on the front right of the receiver under the wood line.

      Comment


      • Hunterbfp
        Hunterbfp commented
        Editing a comment
        Gentlemen, the rifle was in my hands at a gun store in another State. I was unable to perform a proper disassembly to verify drawing numbers and stamps, stock identification etc. But thank you all for your input. I feel the TE and ME are excessive for the price so I will pass. Regards

      #4
      Originally posted by TJT View Post
      Proper IHC stocks will cost a pretty penny if it's not an IHC stock and you plan to change it. Does the bullet guide have the large or small clam shell stake mark? Large is IHC, small is HRA.. Do you know how to tell an IHC follower arm?
      Just curious.
      Jon
      Jon, what is the general availability of NOS IHC parts and stocks? Besides the stock being very spendy, how about small parts? And most small parts would be marked IHC, or not?
      Thanks,
      m14brian

      Comment


        #5
        The short answer is "no". One needs to learn all the little nuances that differentiate one maker from another. Some parts are just marked with a single letter code. Tractor-gun parts are getting spendy like Winchester.
        Jon

        Comment


          #6
          Originally posted by m14brian View Post

          Jon, what is the general availability of NOS IHC parts and stocks? Besides the stock being very spendy, how about small parts? And most small parts would be marked IHC, or not?
          Thanks,
          m14brian
          NOS IHC parts are not easily found. Used IHC parts are around just have to dig .
          All but the very earliest IHC parts are letter coded , others have things to look for to identify them. Look at pics of my all original IHC posted on this thread for ways to identify IHC parts. If yu have any questions let me know
          https://www.m1garandforum.com/forum/...036-ihc-garand
          Last edited by Orlando; 11-28-2019, 06:14 AM.

          Comment


            #7
            Originally posted by RDS View Post
            There are several different IHC receivers. Can you post photos of the receiver and the numbers on the front right of the receiver under the wood line.
            Indeed. SA-IHC arrowhead, SA-IHC gap letter, IHC-IHC postage stamp and HRA-IHC postage stamp. All are interesting in their own rights.
            Jon

            Comment

            Working...
            X