Abused M1 Garand Bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abused M1 Garand Bolt

Am looking for an M1 bolt, produced at SA, after WWII, that has a single numeral (e.g. 3) marking on the upper surface of the bolt, approximately 1/2 inch in size, that was done free-hand with either a vibra-peen or electro-etch pen. If you have one or know of one, please get back to me at <[email protected]>.

There were no USGI garand bolts manufactured with your description. All bolts have stamped drawing numbers, nothing scribed. You will see bolts with the last few serial numbers of the receiver etched in them but will still have the stamped drawing numbers. I believe you will see this on Danish returns
    If yours only has the etching I would say someone for some reason ground off the drawing numbers
    Can you post pictures of your bolt?

Comment

• mavin
      mavin commented
      Editing a comment
      I worked at SA from '51-'56. The bolts that I'm talking about were probably made in '51-'52. In '52 an eight M1 rifle test program was set up , using 8 receivers with no S/N's. In order to keep track of them during the tests the crude numerals that I mentioned were applied to the bolts. After each rifle fired 6000 rounds they were inspected, then disassembled and all of the parts were placed in a storage locker. When SA shut down all of those parts were identified as "scrap" and were sold to a junk dealer who, in turn, reassembled some or all of the parts into functional M1's and sold them. I actually encountered one of those bootleg rifles at a gun show. It's been 63 years since I handled those "ugly" bolts at SA. Actually, what I'm looking for is what P/N and heat lot no. markings were stamped at the rear ends of those bolts, if any. I have no memory of what they were.

Thank you for the information, interesting. We may have to pick your brain more about your time at Springfield if you dont mind. . In over 20 years of messing with garands I have never ran into a bolt like you are asking about. What you are looking for is probably worse than finding a needle in a haystack. I would "guess" they would have used post war bolts but may have used anything they had layiNg around
    Post War SA bolt
    drawing # 6528287-SA
    list of post war lot numbers :
    US1
    J1B
    US2
    A-10
    A11
    A13
    A14
    A15
    B-2-O
    Z1
    Z2
    Z3
    A16
    Z4B
    Y01
    Y02
    J-1-A

Good luck with your search
    Last edited by Orlando; 10-27-2019, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Mavin,
      Great info, and thanks for taking the time to join our community.
      I'll be happy to dig through my bolts and have a look for you.
      Thanks again, and please share your knowledge with us here.
      Cheers,
      --Brian
      Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

Working...
      X