Trigger Group fitting in an H&R M1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trigger Group fitting in an H&R M1

I have acquired an H&R M1. It has been completely redone and fitted with a criterion barrel and chambered for .308. The rifle is so tight, I cannot completely disassemble it. I'm thinking some shooting time will help with this. however this is not my problem as yet. All parts as far as I can tell are H&R except the trigger group which is SA. I bought a complete H&R trigger group and it does not fit. Meaning I cannot get the trigger guard to close to lock it in place. I have a good 3/8'' gap to latch. The SA guard fits fine. They both seem similar, but the stock is aftermarket. I thought all parts were interchangeable for this platform. The group sits rather deeply into the stock as is, so I really don't want to start removing wood if I don't have to. Some suggestions would be very helpful at this point. Thank You

The HRA fits correctly the SA is loose fit. Turn the rifle over in your lap and with palm of hand slap it closed

Comment

Negetive, as I said with all the force I use, there is still too much clearence for it to close and lock.

Comment

3/8 of a inch is nothing. run the sight aperture all the way down, flip rifle over and put on padded table or carpeted floor. Man up and lean hard on it! Or use a rubber mallet to close it
        Last edited by Orlando; 09-18-2019, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Orlando, I've tried that. I'm not new to this, I've owned Garands for more than 35 yrs. I am also 6' 250 lbs. so I can apply lots of force when and where needed. The trigger group seems to just stop solid at about 3/8 after lots of force is applied. I've done the mallet thing and it just bounces back. I do not want to deform the trigger guard and or lock it up so solid that it cannot be undone. I have owned aprox. 11 or 12 Garands in my life so i'm not new to this platform. This is really my first head scratcher that I've encountered.

Comment

I have never ever had one that woudnt close in all the garands I have collected, built, assembled , well over 50 .I have heard of other people that couldn't close them because they were afraid to force it closed. The hammer will bounce if you don't strike it sharply, you might try greasing the lugs first
            Heres a rifle I built with extremely tight lock up, see how far it was from closing? It will close but had to be hit shut with mallet, as time went on wood compressed and closes somewhat eaiser

Try the HRA in one of your others garands, will it close it them? Can you post pictures of the trigger guard lugs of both gaurds?
            Last edited by Orlando; 09-19-2019, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Gentlemen, especially to you Orlando, I owe you all who have tried to educate me with this trigger group problem, a BIG apology. Please forgive my ignorance. But you must also understand, in my 50+ years of shooting and my 30 or so years dealing with Garands and M1-A rifles, it went against everything I was always taught. If it don't fit, don't force it!! To me, taking a hammer, even with a rubber face to a firearm, was a horrifying thought. But after looking at and turning around said rifle for the past 3 days, I bit the bullet (so to speak) and said what the hell! I figured the worst thing that would happen, was I would deform the trigger guard, or snap a lug, and could easily replace that. So I grit my teeth, and wack!! The guard snapped into place. I thought for sure something broke. After checking the safety and dry firing said rifle, I found out that it actually worked fine. I am taking the rifle to a Garand Match this weekend, and I'm sure it will win me a medal. So Thanks Again Guys, I am in your debt. KM

Comment

glad you figured it out, you actually have a correctly fitting trigger group. Anything less is worn ,loose fitting

Comment

Same thing happened to me with my CMP Special when I got it a few years ago. It just wouldn’t close. Searching for answers online I stumbled upon the same picture Orlando posted above. I was a little leery at first, but a good hard whack or two with a rubber mallet did the trick for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X