Sight. I can't find a bar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sight. I can't find a bar?

We took apart the rear sight, and it came apart into the part with the knob, the gear, the slotted screw and the shaft. We also have a part that is just a knob with a spring and a D shaped bushing. We also have the sight itself with the rack.

The video on how to get it back together shows a bar, but I can't find one anywhere. Not sure what the rod screws into on the other side. I looked carefully around the area where we took it apart, and even ran a magnet on wheels over the area. Nothing.

How does this go together?
    Last edited by emmett518; 09-15-2019, 07:12 PM.

It sound like you have T105E1 post war rear sight, not a lock bar sight. Does your windage knob look like this ?
    If so, the slots are for the screwdriver blade.

Comment

I would have to agree with jak. Make sure you align the flat on the "D" washer with the flat on the sight pinion.
      Jon

Comment

I think I lost the threaded part in that picture. I just have the knob, the D shaped bushing, and the spring. No idea where it could have gone as I ran a magnet on wheels over the area, and carefully looked at the sheet of cardboard that I was sitting on.

Can I order another one? What do I ask for, and who might sell one?

Feel like an idiot

Emmett

Comment

If you have a spring and a d shaped busing you have the earlier lock bar windage knob not the later style pictured above. You can get the locking bar on E-bay , Gunbroker etc

Comment

Originally posted by Orlando View Post
            If you have a spring and a d shaped busing you have the earlier lock bar windage knob not the later style pictured above. You can get the locking bar on E-bay , Gunbroker etc
            Can you post a picture of what this piece looks like, and what do I search for on Ebay / Gbroker?

And finally, how many parts make up the sight? I have one small spring, one d shaped bushing, a knob with the gear and shaft, the other knob, and the sight part that goes up and down. the two parts that snap onto the receiver are there on the gun.

Thanks so much.
            Last edited by emmett518; 09-17-2019, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Click on link for ebay auction
              https://www.ebay.com/itm/M1-GARAND-S...kAAOSwvYZZoffu

This look like your sight?
              Last edited by Orlando; 09-17-2019, 05:08 PM.

Comment

I don't remember seeing something rectangular on it. I just remember seeing two knobs.

Comment

Maybe you have a flush nut sight, if so you better get looking for that nut.
                  Can you post a picture of what you have or email it to me?
                  Last edited by Orlando; 09-19-2019, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Picture of what I have. The serial number of the rifle starts with 101, and has 7 digits. US Armory Springfield.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by emmett518; 09-22-2019, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Looks like a type I sight.You need the type I flat "lock bar" which are impossible to find and when you do are very, very pricey

Comment

Orlando is right, Type 1 lock bar

Comment

So what do I do? I ran a magnet over the driveway, and can't find the part.

Comment

Is this it?

https://www.ammogarand.com/m1-garand...-new--re1.html

Comment

yes that is a reproduction commercial made part.The last USGI I saw a few years back was $650 just for the bar
                              Last edited by Orlando; 09-23-2019, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X