Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time one here, have not picked up an m-1 since 1967 when I joined the NCARNG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time one here, have not picked up an m-1 since 1967 when I joined the NCARNG

I have a chance to but a 1955 SA M-1 from my good friend of 60 years who bought it off someone he knows well. He has the one his dad carried in WW2 that has been glass bedded and the works , so he really doesn't want it, It came with an AR-15 he really wanted. He told me if I'd buy him a Henry repeater in 38/357 I could have it. I have many guns from WW2, mainly colt 1911a1s and an M-1 30 Cal Carbine. I have guns all the way back to the civil war. When I first joined the guard at 19, that unit had them and I can remember it smashing my thumb more than once. In basic we had M-14s. It will cost me 6 bills to buy it. It may be a mix master or shot out but according to him it's ok. Is it worth it?

Without lots of detailed photos no one can give you an assessment of "worth". You've basically said, "Is this old Ford worth the asking price?"
    Also, unless he stole it (literally), your friend does not have THE rifle he carried in WWII. He may have one LIKE the one he had, but I seriously doubt it is THE rifle. You'd need documented evidence to prove it. No one was allowed to purchase their service rifle--period.
    As the saying goes, "Buy the rifle, NOT the story".
    Jon
    Last edited by TJT; 06-13-2019, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Ahh something doesnt make sense here. SA1955 that he carried in WWII??

Comment

I must have confused you. I'm talking about two different rifles. The one he bought that he's willing to sell me in an SA 1955, the one his dad had is a WW2 issue that his dad sent off and had all the work done to. That's why he's willing to sell me the SA 1955. I know nothing about them like I do 1911a1s. Is there one web site that has all the markings and what they mean like the cool gun site for 1911's. I've looked several places and there seem to be so many variations and design changes to that rifle. How can you tell if it's been thru an arsenal rebuild
        ? It's stamped on the side of 1911 with the arsenal letters and usuall the date. Thanks, L A M

Comment

Arsenal rebuilds can be marked on the stock or on the leg of the receiver. I recieved a rifle that had an RIA FK arsenal cartouche on the stock, no markings on the reciever. I also have two IHC rifles that were done in the 60s and are both marked on the reciever. I believe rifles rebuilt in the 50s did not have the electro pencil marks on the leg.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, I won't see the rifle for a couple of weeks but I'd like to know what I'm looking at then.

Comment

How do you tell if the barrel, receiver group, and trigger group are all original to the rifle? Are there matching serial numbers on these parts groups?

Comment

Originally posted by maurola View Post
                I must have confused you. I'm talking about two different rifles.
                I am easily confused

Only serial number is on the receiver heel
                Completely disassemble the rifle and list all the parts that are stamped or take clear detailed pictures of the rifle and post them here or you can e-mail them to me

Comment

will do if I decide to by it for 6, my friend doesn't know m-1s and neither do I...if it was a colt, I'd be on solid ground but this is new to me. When you say complete, is that the 3 major groups according to TECHNICAL MANUAL HEADQUARTERS, DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY No. 9-1005-222-12. That should be simple enough!

Comment

complete as in the whole rifle, stock rear sight,barrel bolt ,receiver internals ,op rod ,gas cylinder ,gas screw, gas lock, front sight. If you want a accurate answer need complete pictures. Any mixmaster is worth $600 as long as bore is in good condition,gas cylinder, op rod inspec and not a welded receiver or drill rifle
                    Last edited by Orlando; 06-14-2019, 07:12 PM.

Comment

OK, Thanks..will do the best I can to make that happen

Comment

Welcome in Sir! Good luck on your purchase of this M1.
                        Maybe I'm wrong and it wouldn't be the end of the world but I thought back then you could have an option to buy your service rifle under certain conditions. The guy my Dad got my M1 Carbine from said that one was his issue weapon in the navy, it was a 6-44 inland. Maybe he was full of bull, I don't know.
                        m14brian

Comment

My friend says that's what his dad to him..I may have it wrong but the one he's going to keep is a WW2 USGI. I do know a lot of things came home in duffle bags, my dad bringing this little jewel back
                          Attached Files

Comment

If "six bills" means 600 then yes, it's worth it unless it's in bad shape.

Comment

Working...
                            X