Interesting document where it also speaks of M1 Garand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting document where it also speaks of M1 Garand

Studying the history of development from our beloved M1 to M 14 and then M16, I found this interesting report from 1977, where the Garand comes out again head-on!

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a044796.pdf
    Last edited by Davide.bach; 01-18-2019, 02:21 PM.

Where does it start with the M1? It's too difficult to navigate 100-plus pages on my phone.
    Jon

Comment

In a few places it made the point that the Garand was superior to the M14 for sustained rate of fire. The M14 has a much slower magazine change than most rifles with a detachable box.
      What was interesting was the discussion of small unit combat. There it clearly made the point that the M16 was far superior to the Garand for most situations.
      The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
      The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

This is a Thesis written by the good Maj. and at the bottom of pg. III he makes it very clear it is his opinion. So you can agree or disagree.
        Last edited by Phil McGrath; 01-27-2019, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Page 111? The dowmload only goes to page 98.
          Jon

Comment

Originally posted by TJT View Post
            Page 111? The dowmload only goes to page 98.
            Jon
            Actually its pg. 4 in the download, however the actual page is marked iii on the bottom. I assumed iii = III, maybe I'm wrong.

Clear as mud?

Comment

Originally posted by Phil McGrath View Post
              This is a Thesis written by the good Maj. and at the bottom of pg. III he makes it very clear it is his opinion. So you can agree or disagree.
              I was just a very lowly ROTC Sergeant First Class and my opinion is I disagree with the "slow magazine changes Of the M14" of course. That might come from people that don't know there's a bit of a technique to securing the front of the mag on the op rod spring guide tip then rocking the rear in, and have spent some good time with it.
              An internet search of videos will provide many people that can do it pretty quickly.
              m14brian

Comment

The Garand can be a PIB to reload in terms of getting the new clip to actually lock in place. Some rifles take a lot of force, and it's not due to a "high" cartridge in the clip.
                In the website below they mention all the areas needing greasing. Of interest, under "Additional area to grease" is the operating rod catch. Greasing that made the rifle MUCH easier to load.
                http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-grease
                Last edited by Smokey; 02-08-2019, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey View Post
                  The Garand can be a PIB to reload in terms of getting the new clip to actually lock in place. Some rifles take a lot of force,
                  Hum, I have owned over 40 Garands and never had any issues with any of them myself. I would say that may be from worn internal parts?

Comment

I've worked on a lot of Garands over the years. Some were easier to load than others. Greasing the op rod catch area made an improvement in all of them.
                    Need to note that my Special has worked extremely well from the beginning. Never had a problem with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X