Milled trigger guards on NM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Milled trigger guards on NM

Does anyone know much about how the NM Garands were assembled in terms of parts given to them? Recently I saw this NM Garand that has a milled trigger guard. What was interesting about it is that all of the major pieces such as the trigger guard, bolt, op rod, and I believe the barrel had the same drawing number that matched the year of the receiver serial number. However, despite this the trigger guard itself was a milled trigger guard, and I understand post-war rifles should have the stamped trigger guards. When these NM rifles were assembled, were some of them given the milled trigger guards left over in the arsenals? I wasn't able to figure out why everything else appears to be 100% original on this rifle, yet the trigger guard was of a different production period, unless someone at some point in time who owned the rifle decided to change it out.

Thanks in advance

First , what makes you think its a NM rifle? Does it have documentation? Its probably a rifle with some NM parts that someone built. More information about it would help

Comment

• leo_horseman
      leo_horseman commented
      Editing a comment
      Well there wasn't any documentation, but everything about the rifle seemed in line with what a proper NM should be. The front hand guard was nailed in. The barrel had the "NM" printed on the front. The sights were correct. I mentioned the drawing numbers already, and the year of the barrel, SN, and drawing numbers all seemed to be consistent with each other. The bore was also in super good condition with very crisp rifling and very shiny. Also the stock proof stamps were correct for the year and manufacturer (SA). So yes, while there is no documentation, it is impossible to verify of course. But even if the rifle is fake, the majority of the parts seem to be in line with what an NM should be. To clarify however, the price isn't much higher than that of a normal Garand in good condition due to the lack of documentation.

But regardless of what it is, I'm just curious whether that milled trigger guard is something that manufacturers used when building or maintaining the trigger assemblies for the NM rifles, or if that is an obvious sign that it is either fake or replaced by some individual owner at some point. I tried researching it and couldn't find anything related to that, so I'm wondering if someone here happens to know.

I will have to search my files but I remember reading that match armorers back in the 1960s preferred milled trigger guards. The American Rifleman magazine did many articles on NM M1 Garands and match conditioning M1 Garands in the 1950s and 1960s. I believe I read it in one of the articles on match conditioning. It never would have left SA when new with a forged milled trigger guard.

Comment

Yes milled guards are prefered by some shooters,I prefer stamped guards with milled hooks. It may not be a SA NM rifle but a team built rifle.
      Last edited by Orlando; 09-22-2020, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X