Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone tell me more about this Garand National Match?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone tell me more about this Garand National Match?

Hello all,

I'm looking for more info or background on my M1 Garand Springfield Armory National Match rifle. I'd also be interested to find someone very knowledgeable that would go through it and give me a more accurate assessment. Here's why I ask:

I had a former local gun show vendor here in Michigan (now living in GA) go through my rifle a few years ago. While not a super expert, he owns a NM that is three serial numbers away from the one owned by JFK. Despite that, his rifle s/n is NOT in the DCM serial number list. Neither is mine, after having looked into it through the CMP. They did admit their records only go back to 1996 and are woefully remiss earlier than that. My friend shared that he's also had the pleasure of looking over a few other NM's, and based his assessment on his experience, and not as an expert.

Anyway, on very careful disassembly my friend saw a few red flags. For one, the internal component markings are in paint stick, not in grease pencil (I may have that backwards?). He felt the markings are correct, just not in the right media. Second, while it contains correct NM components, the barrel has the NM stamp in the top of the barrel, not the left side. Finally, the stock is varnished, and believed to be original, whereas "true" NM's were only with an oil finish. There was a question on the Op Rod, but I don't remember what that was.

My friend's opinion was that this particular rifle was built in Camp Perry, OH by an actual SA armorer who had previously built NM rifles for the DCM. His opinion (fwiw) was that this rifle is "just that good". The varnished stock was a clue for him, as he stated that humidity in the area of Lake Erie would affect accuracy due to swelling of the wood stock, and the varnish prevented the absorption of moisture.

So questions:

* Anyone else know of such a thing as a Camp Perry built NM Garand?

* Is the rest of the info my friend shared correct or not? Again, he admitted not being an expert, but had just looked over a few, which is why he caught those discrepancies.

* Is there anyone within a couple of hours drive of Detroit (Howell) that I could take this rifle to for a better assessment? I am not willing to ship it or leave it with anyone... I'd prefer to take it to someone, have it evaluated, and then leave with it.

Some background, if this helps:

I purchased this rifle around 1991 or 92 at a gun show at the old Novi Expo Center in Northwest Detroit. It was sold to me by an older gentleman, Sam Sunman, who operated under Sun-Man Arms. He was from the far east side of Detroit. Sam told me at that time I bought it that this rifle was one of two, and that its twin was in Wisconsin. I didn't know what all that meant or if it held any significance so I never pressed for more info. He also said it was extremely accurate. Believe it or not I have never fired this rifle. It's been in my safe since the day I bought it. It's in pristine condition as the photos will attest. I can take more photos of specific areas for the asking.

Thanks in advance!

Les
    Last edited by 66 Bonneville; 01-31-2020, 02:52 PM. Reason: corrected typo

Barrel is not stamped in correct place or do the letters NM letters look right, the NM letters on p rod also do not look right
    Need to see pictures of the bedding
    Is the gas cylinder NM?

Comment

Originally posted by Orlando View Post
      Barrel is not stamped in correct place or do the letters NM letters look right, the NM letters on p rod also do not look right
      Need to see pictures of the bedding
      Is the gas cylinder NM?
      Thanks for the reply, Orlando. I'll need to dig it out to take more photos. That will take me a couple days as I'm tied up this weekend. I'm assuming that some portion(s) of the glass bedding will be visible around the trigger guard without having to disassemble the rifle? I haven't had this one apart myself. I'll need to get some info online before jumping into it if that's the case. But yes, will post more pics and reply, including pics of the gas cylinder.

Comment

Working...
      X