NM Sling Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NM Sling Question

Folks I've just bought my first Garand and intend to shoot it here in Ireland in competition similar to US National Match.... I want to pick up a quality sling. I've seen TUrner & Cumberland Highpower... I am confused by the selection of sizes though... I know the original USGI sling was 48" but I'm wondering if my choice of length should be based upon my build / height or what?

Thanks!

I would email Turner and ask them.. Also, I recommend M/Sgt Jim Owens book, "The Leather Sling"... available through Amazon..
    Last edited by Benzeen1; 05-02-2019, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the book

Comment

I know turner slings seem to dominate, but has anyone got a Cumberland? They claim to be superior to Turner, and are a little cheaper... Might be too good to be true so interested if anyone has experienced them?

Thanks

Comment

+1 on Jim Owens' book. After reading it for the first time some 30 years ago, my score improved by 50 points ( no BS) on the very next match. It's worth every penny, or pound or shilling. You won't regret getting it. And, read it often--you'll pick some thing "new" up every time you read it.
          Jon

Comment

Robotack,
            If you're like me, with a 36-37" arm length, get the 50" sling. The 48" is just a tad short to be comfortable without being a contorsionist.
            Jon

Comment

Turner asked for my height & weight. (5'10", 200lbs) & recommended a 54".... I'm still confused...

Comment

Buy a 54" and trim if you need to. Different positions often need different adjustments. A standard 48" sling is more often than not much too short for competition. Check the Turner Site carefully. They almost always have seconds available for a substantial discount that you would be hard pressed to understand why. Rigged for competition (much different than normal military rigging) the extra length is a definate advantage. Don't short change yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Robotack View Post
                  Turner asked for my height & weight. (5'10", 200lbs) & recommended a 54".... I'm still confused...
                  Hhmm, Ok maybe this will add too your confusion. People today are larger than the past generation, so now you know why he asked for your build type and weight. You said you were a shooter? Most competitive shooter here in the States use a coat with a heavy sweat shirt underneath, this will suck up some of the available sling length. Personally speaking 54 is about the minimum length provided you shoot like we do here in the States, I like 56in and I'm just a little lager than you are. Its better too have a little extra on the tail end, than be at the last set of holes at the bitter end.

56in also allows me too use the same sling with the 03 Springfield - M1 Garand - M14 - and the AR/15 type rifle, remember the AR type sling swivel is 2in higher than the men's rifles are..

Comment

Working...
                  X