NM Sling Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NM Sling Question

Folks I've just bought my first Garand and intend to shoot it here in Ireland in competition similar to US National Match.... I want to pick up a quality sling. I've seen TUrner & Cumberland Highpower... I am confused by the selection of sizes though... I know the original USGI sling was 48" but I'm wondering if my choice of length should be based upon my build / height or what?

Thanks!

I would email Turner and ask them.. Also, I recommend M/Sgt Jim Owens book, "The Leather Sling"... available through Amazon..
    Last edited by Benzeen1; 05-02-2019, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the book

Comment

I know turner slings seem to dominate, but has anyone got a Cumberland? They claim to be superior to Turner, and are a little cheaper... Might be too good to be true so interested if anyone has experienced them?

Thanks

Comment

+1 on Jim Owens' book. After reading it for the first time some 30 years ago, my score improved by 50 points ( no BS) on the very next match. It's worth every penny, or pound or shilling. You won't regret getting it. And, read it often--you'll pick some thing "new" up every time you read it.
          Jon

Comment

Robotack,
            If you're like me, with a 36-37" arm length, get the 50" sling. The 48" is just a tad short to be comfortable without being a contorsionist.
            Jon

Comment

Turner asked for my height & weight. (5'10", 200lbs) & recommended a 54".... I'm still confused...

Comment

Buy a 54" and trim if you need to. Different positions often need different adjustments. A standard 48" sling is more often than not much too short for competition. Check the Turner Site carefully. They almost always have seconds available for a substantial discount that you would be hard pressed to understand why. Rigged for competition (much different than normal military rigging) the extra length is a definate advantage. Don't short change yourself.

Comment

Working...
                X