Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A sticky with the guide to Garands?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    A sticky with the guide to Garands?

    I am trying to learn all I can about Garands, and from what better people? I am still confused about things. Took me a LONG time to pick up things about M14's (and still growing after 9 years).
    Would you experts put together a comprehensive list (including dates) for reference and learning? All I know is I want to get in to Garands, but know almost nothing technical about them!

    From earliest models (history) to new production models.

    Your thoughts?

    #2
    Not exactly sure what it is you are asking. If you are wanting a list of what parts are correct for certain serial ranges /years you need to purchase books. There is no way anyone can list everything here
    That being said there is no one book that has all this info either and many books have info that is incorrect as new things have been learned since they were written

    Comment


      #3
      Thanks Orlando. Sounds like this is a big undertaking then. It also sounds like even if I owned a library on the subject, I might not be able to trust what is written.

      Comment


        #4
        Bill, what book or two would you recommend that have the most information in it for beginners that would get the most bang for the buck?
        m14brian

        Comment


          #5
          Scott Duff's 2 books on the M1 Garand(WWII and post war) and Bruce Canfield's new book The M1 Garand. Those 3 tomes will tell you 95% of what you want to know. The other 5% will be putting in the time

          Comment


            #6
            Cool, thanks, I'm going to have to get those.
            I have Kuhnhausen's shop manual and Roy Baumgardner's "Precision shooting with the M1 Garand". Good books, but those aren't telling me the kind of things I need either.
            m14brian

            Comment


              #7
              Those two books are "How to's", not the history that you seek.
              ​Jon

              Comment


                #8
                If you are interested in gas trap rifles, you should own a copy of Billy Pyle's book also. Good information through approximately the end of 1940.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Actually, my first book was by Bruce Canfield and it covered the history of both the Garand and the M1 Carbine. With my total lack of knowledge of these rifles, I found it very interesting, and it got me started on collecting. It's called "Complete guide to the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine." It was published in 1998 and is still available on Amazon.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Thank you everyone. I am going to have to get those books.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      The Garand Stand Report is also a great quarterly magazine

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X