Real or Fake Springfield M1 Garand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real or Fake Springfield M1 Garand?

Hello, does anyone know by looking at the serial number stamp in this photo if this Springfield M1 Garand is real or fake? The serial number font looks different and the smoothness of the imprint itself looks off from all of the others I have seen. Thanks in advance.

You rifle is a commercial manufactured garand made by the present day Springfield Armory and started with serial numbers at 7 million. The original Springfield Armory which made the WWII garands closed in the 1960's.
    Looking for SA bayonet 1045220

Comment

It's a Springfield Inc commercially manufactured rifle with a cast receiver. When no one but very limited people could buy a real Garand the new Springfield Incorporated Company began making them. The used a cast receiver and most other parts were vintage or rebuilt surplus parts from decommissioned Garands. They did, however, use barrels produced by their company. They made several "commemorative" Garands with laser engraved stocks featuring images of WWII battles. Except for some of the very early ones they were reliably functioning rifles. Once DCM/CMP began selling return MI's in bulk the demand for those repro copies dried up and they stopped production.

Springfield Inc Garands tended to be excessively expenses, especially the commemorative ones with engraving and fancy boxes. These days you can get them pretty cheap and it's doubtful they will ever have much collector value or increase in value unless someone has a desire for an oddity item.

Comment

I think that is a cast receiver

Comment

Investment casting today yields some very strong results. Ruger's M77 is investment cast and in testing rivals the legendary strength of the Type 38 Arisaka. If I saw an SAI Garand at a good price, in good condition. I would be very tempted to buy it as a shooter.
          The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
          The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Working...
          X