Can anyone help a newbie tell me what I have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone help a newbie tell me what I have

The stock has fiberglass I suspect to tighten up the action. Blue Sky import marks. The stock has been finished but I suspect it was done along time ago. Also I would like locate a period correct rear sight if anyone could help me locate one.
    Last edited by N_Georgia; 09-07-2022, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Your rifle has been through atleast one rebuild in its lifetime. It was imported by Blue Sky .

Comment

Your receiver was made between July and August of 1944, according to the Scott Duff book. The barrel is a Post war barrel dated from 1963, blue sky imports came mostly from Korea in
            the 90's. The glass bedding of the stock was something done to tighten up the fit of the trigger group, you see it a lot on post war re-builds.
            I have never seen a scope mount like that before, definitely not US military. But it looks like a well made mount.
            if you want to replace the sights look out on the web, there are several good places that sell M1 Garand parts. Fulton Armory is one that comes to mind but there are many others.
            the 1947 sights are probably the easiest to find, lots of times you can find the parts at gun shows too.

Comment

Originally posted by pete47 View Post
              Your receiver was made between July and August of 1944, according to the Scott Duff book. The barrel is a Post war barrel dated from 1963, blue sky imports came mostly from Korea in
              the 90's. The glass bedding of the stock was something done to tighten up the fit of the trigger group, you see it a lot on post war re-builds.
              I have never seen a scope mount like that before, definitely not US military. But it looks like a well made mount.
              if you want to replace the sights look out on the web, there are several good places that sell M1 Garand parts. Fulton Armory is one that comes to mind but there are many others.
              the 1947 sights are probably the easiest to find, lots of times you can find the parts at gun shows too.
              Is there something in particular I should look for to make it period correct.

Comment

IMO ,I would use post war sights as the rest of the rifle is a mixture of later parts. They are easier to adjust than lock bar sights

Comment

Originally posted by N_Georgia View Post

Is there something in particular I should look for to make it period correct.
                  If you wish to make the rifle period correct, there are a number of resources like books and websites (and the forums) to help with that. This is a good website to know about, but I wouldn't count on it being 100% accurate. http://usriflecal30m1.com/Default.aspx

Sorry Mr. President, the people we defeated in WW2 were not "fine people," and America's war dead are not "suckers" and "losers."

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly with Adanac,
                    Before you start a restoration project do some research and get some reference books (Scott Duff and lots of others have published books on the M1.
                    Talk to knowledgeable folk on the various websites. Consider joining the Garand Collectors (GCA)

You may find that this particular rifle would be too expensive to restore to original configuration but you may be able to trade with others.
                    My first M1 I bought in 1982 from a gun shop. I bought the story the dealer sold me and ended up with a mixmaster of parts, but a decent shooter. Paid way too much for it, but it was an
                    expensive lesson to learn that reference material and knowlege about the M1 is critical.
                    if you still want to try to make the rifle "correct" the first thing I would look for would be a Springfield barrel dated about 08 44, the barrel date is on the side, where yours is dated 10 63
                    IMO, that is the hardest thing to find in a restoration project, a barrel and receiver that fall in the same range of age.

FWIW, You have a nice rifle and the changes it has undergone are part of its history, if it shoots well, just enjoy it
                    and if its your first M1, you can always find more of them out there.

Comment

Check the wear on you barrel. Some of the Blue sky barrels were shot out. 63 would be a nice barrel if within spec.

Comment

Working...
                      X