Tigger problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tigger problem

Shortly after firing the first 8 rounds form the M1 Garand 30-06 it began to double fire from both bench and off hand despite concentrating on technique. With dry fire the trigger started acting like a binary trigger with hammer released with the slightest release of pressure from the trigger. I removed the TG and the sears, etc all look good. Out of rifle the trigger functions appropriately, 2 stage, crisp, normal reset. When I placed trigger group in rifle the problems returned. Rifle is a M1 CMP Special bought in 2013, I have shot about 200 rounds, this was the 3rd time I used it, did not have problem before. Stock looks brand new. Any suggestions?

Based on what you stated, you have a problem with the stock interfering with the trigger group. Get a small flashlight and look into the trigger group cutout in the stock for any signs of metal contact. you probably will have to remove a small amount of wood to provide proper clearance, probably around the area where the sear engages the hammer.
    The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
    The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

• Smokey
      Smokey commented
      Editing a comment
      BTW, I'm glad you are using your rifle, hope you find the problem and fix it soon.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll post back after the modification.

Comment

Try changing out TG also.

Comment

• TJT
        TJT commented
        Editing a comment
        That won't fix the op's problem. It's either a stock interference problem or a hammer/sear problem.
        Jon

If he changes trigger group to see if a stock problem? I agree, most likely a stock problem. But, to make sure, changing trigger group eliminates one potential problem.
      Last edited by 1563621; 08-12-2022, 07:26 AM.

Comment

I inspected the stock, no wear. Don't have another TG. I'll send it to the CMP armorers see what they can do with it. Thank you both for your input

Comment

In M1 rifle parlance, TG usually refers to Trigger Guard, not Group. M1 and black rifle parlance is different.
          Jon

Comment

sometimes a worn pin will affect operation. I usually call the guard, the guard. guard has nothing to do with his problem. I have seen the trigger pin cause issues. get a new pin.
            Last edited by 1563621; 08-12-2022, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Remove the rifle from the stock, lock in the trigger guard and see if the problem exists out of the stock. Check the slot in the trigger guard seat on the rear for an imprint in the wood. Deepen that narrow slot. If it's too shallow it can interfere with proper reset or create heavy trigger pull. Very often after market stocks have too shallow a slot. In fact, most do.

Comment

I had the same problem once on a rifle and it was the hammer. Under close inspection It looked like someone may have honed or filed it to decrease trigger pull.

Comment

I have had two early Winchester trigger housings that the hammer would ride the bolt and never cock or set itself. When
                  removed from the stock, the hammer still would not cock. By changing the parts around, got everything to work. A few
                  factors such as early parts, wear on the parts enter into the problem.

never had this with early SA but it could happen too

Comment

Working...
                  X