Cal .30 Ammunituon Lot Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cal .30 Ammunituon Lot Project

Hello everyone. I have decided to embark on a large project. I am looking to try to find as many

A - Cardboard Boxes of M1 BALL, M2 BALL, AP, TRACER, INCENDIARY, BLANK, GRENADE LAUNCHER with lot numbers and full with dated Rounds.

B - Bandoliers with Lot Cards and Numbers with dated rounds.

The idea and reason behind this is to try and figure out which lot numbers correlate to which Headstamps.

So for example; say you had a Saint Louis Ordnance Plant Boxes with lot code: 8971 and it had ammunition inside it dated SL 43, then we could confidently say that all SL Lots 8971 are 1943. This would also work out if one had a M1, M2, AP (etc) ammo crate with a lot number on it, then one can also correlate this wth the correct ammunition.

The bigger idea is to create a map of the way in which the ammunition was allotted. I have shared this quest on Facebook and have already had some great info.

Does anyone have any boxes which they have opened which they can share the info of? All I need is Manufacturer, what type of ammunition (M1, M2, etc) lot number and headstamp.

Thank you!

Scott

Scott,
    There is a series of supply bulletins that pretty much cover what you are asking. They are very limited and hard to find. They were printed on cheap paper as they were to be disposed of when the updates were published about every 6 months or so. However, that said they list the manufacturer, type of ammo, lot, and year and grade of ammunition (AC, R, MG, etc.) While not exact they do provide a basis for your question. SB 9-AMM 4 is a starter, I think they go from at least 1-11, but 4 has the standard issue lot numbers as each particular bulletin is developed for something, 4 is Small-arms Ammo, 11- is for suspensions and release of small arms ammo, etc. I do not know what the others are for, you might find the list in a pubs index somewhere or from someone who collects ammunition. good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by CCyooper View Post
      Scott,
      There is a series of supply bulletins that pretty much cover what you are asking. They are very limited and hard to find. They were printed on cheap paper as they were to be disposed of when the updates were published about every 6 months or so. However, that said they list the manufacturer, type of ammo, lot, and year and grade of ammunition (AC, R, MG, etc.) While not exact they do provide a basis for your question. SB 9-AMM 4 is a starter, I think they go from at least 1-11, but 4 has the standard issue lot numbers as each particular bulletin is developed for something, 4 is Small-arms Ammo, 11- is for suspensions and release of small arms ammo, etc. I do not know what the others are for, you might find the list in a pubs index somewhere or from someone who collects ammunition. good luck.
      Many thanks my friend!

Scott

Comment

Working...
      X