Converting .308 back to 30-06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting .308 back to 30-06

Hello I recently got a Garand and wondering if it was possible or worth it to convert it back to 30-06 from .308 or should i just sell it and wait for a 30-06 comes on the market for a decent price.

All is needed is a 308 barrel, all other parts are the same.

Comment

• NoUSerName
      NoUSerName commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you sir

Originally posted by NoUSerName View Post
    Hello I recently got a Garand and wondering if it was possible or worth it to convert it back to 30-06 from .308 or should i just sell it and wait for a 30-06 comes on the market for a decent price.
    I'm finding Garands to be few and far between these days. Why not keep the 308 chambering?

Comment

Is it worth it to you? All that's required is a barrel change. But, having said that, without the tools you'll need a Gunsmith to do it for you. Just be aware that a 308 Garand is generally more accurate, has less recoil and, most importantly, far less ammo sensitive than it's 30-06 relatives. You can feed it most any ball or commercial ammo out there. With 30-06 Garand suitable ammo so scarce these days you may want to think twice about it.

Comment

Good luck these days on a "decent price".

Comment

There is nothing wrong with having a garand in 308 and 30-06.....unless your finances won't allow it. What do consider a decent price for a 30-06 garand ?
          Looking for SA bayonets 922033 & 1045220

Comment

The most commonly used ammo for the Garand in late WWII was black tip armor piercing.
            Use of M2 Armor-Piercing ammo in WWII - CMP Forums (thecmp.org)
            This is a fairly hot load driving a 165-168 gr bullet a little under 2800 fps with a propellant similar to Winchester 760. I guessing the bullet took a lot more pressure to engrave the rifling.
            The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
            The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Working...
            X