Stripping wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripping wood

There was a discussion on "another forum" once about stripping wood and Orlando (so this is sort of directed at you) and others suggested that Purple Power was really the way to go, not wood stripper products, at least for oil finished Garands. My question is, is this the way to go with fully finished new CMP wood? I am not fully certain if what they are using is Linseed/Tung Oil, or an oil blend finish.

Danny

There is really nothing to strip on new CMP wood. I never saw one that came oiled? You could use purple power, NOT a stripper.

Comment

CMP stocks do have a light finish/sealer of some kind. I have tried oiling them without stripping first and have had them come out blotchy. I highly recommend stripping them first. Just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Orlando View Post
        CMP stocks do have a light finish/sealer of some kind. I have tried oiling them without stripping first and have had them come out blotchy. I highly recommend stripping them first. Just my opinion
        In the case of CMP commercial finished stocks only, is Purple Power or hardware store variety finish remover better?

Danny

Comment

Purple power does work but since its stock has a sealer on it a stripper works faster.

Comment

MEK and 4-0 steel wool is what I strip all milsurps with and then oil with blo. No stain needed.
            Jon

Comment

I have used that orange stuff from Home Depot. It's a gel. Nontoxic. It works really well with a toothbrush.

Comment

If you use purple power you also have to use water. You must let the wood thoroughly dry before doing anything else. The water will raise the grain of the wood.
                Looking for SA bayonets 922033 & 1045220

Comment

you have to use water to remove chemical stripper also

Comment

I used laundry soap with hot water and a scrub brush. Just pour water and soap over the stock. DO NOT submerse under water while scrubbing. If it has major gak then use a thin gauge sheet steel to scrap it off first. Great gunsmith below.....showing scraping off the "gak"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bciG2Tq7Hgs
                    Last edited by milboltnut; 03-26-2022, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X