Letterkenny Garand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letterkenny Garand?

I just recently acquired a SA M1 Garand ser# 5965xxx. The gun appears to be in new unissued conditioned with all its original parts. I am in the process of verifying this. I was told that the original owner acquired this gun in 1959 from the Letterkenny Arsenal along with a crate of ammo, but it is definitely not a “LEAD” rebuild. The wood crate of ammo has a Railway Express Agency shipping label on it dated Aug 1959. Is any of this even possible? It is my understanding that these would have to been acquired through the DCM back then. The original owner was was in the military and did compete at Camp Perry back in the day. I was told that he had even won 2 of 1911 matches. There are just a lot of things about this rifle that just don’t add up. I am also curious what it might be worth. I can’t really find anything comparable out there right now in this condition. I am just trying to find out as much as I can about this rifle and it’s history. Thanks for your time!

Take the rifle out of the stock. Does it have "LEAD" and date written on the right side of the receiver ?
    Is there an orange triangle stamp on the pistol grip ?
    Looking for SA bayonets 922033 & 1045220

Comment

The only way to know anything about your rifle is to post pictures with close ups of some the parts and numbers on them. Ammunition in crates could be purchased from the CMP up until a few years ago as even I purchased several of them. While I didn’t purchase any from WWII, it was available, the crates I purchased were from the the 50, 60, and 70’s. I’ve not heard of any rifles released directly from Letterkenny, while doubtful it doesn’t mean that it could not have happened. Army Team shooters, officers, etc could have gotten a weapon by exception via an award, title 10 sale, etc. without some sort of documentation or provenance it would be difficult to verify. Regards

Comment

Thanks for the info, I’ll get it apart and get some pictures.

Comment

Working...
        X