Winchester Garand 1945

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winchester Garand 1945

Hi, I am new on this site and wanted to put my Garand out there asking for help on its value. My wife and i are at a point in our life where money is becoming a concern and its time to part with some of our collectibles. Brief history; I got this gun from an elderly WW2 veteran about 35 years ago. I met him in a gun shop here in Ca. and he told me he had an old M1 for sale and it was a winchester. I knew enough that it had to be a Garand and when he gave me his price I bought it on the spot, well actually the parking lot out front.
    When he pulled it out of his trunk, it was wrapped with a ratty old white towel that was virtually disintegrating but the gun itself was covered in cosmoline. I didn't care about the shape so I put it in my car and shook his hand, thanked him for his service and headed home.
    I regretfully started cleaning and disassembling the rifle before I knew what I had. You will see in the pictures that the gun appeared to be new, never seen combat. There are some small dings here and there and also some discolored spots on the parkerizing but this thing is beautiful. You will see in one of the pics that there is still some cosmoline remaining that I preserved although the rest I regretfully removed before knowing what awaited. My buddy who is really into military guns looked at it and told me that all the pieces appeared to be correct dated winchester parts.
    Anyway the pics should speak for themselves so if someone would be kind enough to steer me in the right direction, It would be greatly appreciated

I can provide more

Comment

I would be interested in buying it, I have been looking for a winchester, PM sent

Comment

Moved out of the "for sale" forum and into the general forum. If you decide to sell the rifle, then please re-post in the for sale forum with an asking price.
        Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

It appears you have a nice very valuable possibly all original WRA. Starting at a minimum of $4000 and price goes on up depending on originality. Would need to post more close up pictures of internals etc. Is the rifle import marked?
          Last edited by Orlando; 02-15-2022, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Looks like a very nice rifle in possible original configuration. As Orlando mentions it would be great if you could post some additional pictures of the internal pieces. The rifle already speaks for itself but for my data I would like to see the front face of the gas cylinder lock as well as the screw. Regards

Comment

i don't collect Winchester 13 rifles but would like to add some additional information that was received from Charles Redfield some years ago. This concerns the Winchester 13 follower & follower arm.

The Winchester 13 follower is without side bevels and the numbers are .062 inch high and without serifs and front face is 85 degrees.

The last production WIN-13 follower arm the legs are beveled (like SA) the double face becomes larger, angle on nose becomes longer. also unmarked

Comment

First and foremost that does not appear to he an original USGI stock. It's far too fat plus the area where the trigger guard locks up is not USGI shape or configuration. That would mean the Cartouches are repro stamped. Which, based on how sharp and distinct they are, was to me, questionable. But, seeing the second set of pics and shape of the stock pretty much made up my mind.

Comment

From my experience, late WRA GHD stocks are "beefier" than their predecessors. I wouldn't discount the stock based on that. I haven't studied these in a while, but the cartouche looks OK to me.
                  I too would like to see a few more pics of the internals.
                  Nice Rifle!

Comment

The OP should post his pictures on the CMP forum and ask Rick Borecky for his opinion. Rick is the expert on real or fake cartouches.
                    Looking for SA bayonets 922033 & 1045220

Comment

One might also wonder why a 45 vintage rifle would still retain the lockbar sight and milled trigger guard. I also seem to see the remnants of another Cartouche square under the WRA one.

It also wears an early, no lug step WWII bolt. Later Wins and Win 13's had a step on the bolt lug.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice rifle but, only lots more pictures of internals including the Op Rod are needed for a legitimate estimation of value. But, based on what is currently pictured I think $4000 is a real stretch.

Is that non slant cut Op Rod Winchester marked? That would make it a pretty valuable part on it's own. I sold one several years ago for close to $400.
                      Last edited by lapriester; 02-26-2022, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X