Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper Gas Cylinder Spacing?

Guys,

Is there too much space between the Rear Gas Cylinder Ring and the Front Hand Guard on my Rifle?

First Photo shows white background
    2nd Photo I used a purple paper with 1 Business card. This shows some space between the ring and the front hand guard.
    3rd Photo same but with a 1 Credit card still has space.

Should the gas Cylinder be pressed up tight on the business card and or the credit card so that either card can sit without falling off?

I would close it up but thats just me. You just need the slightest gap between the two if the gas lock lets you. Sometimes its has to be more becuase of where the lock times

Comment

I narrowed the gap just enough to fit 2 business cards however my lock now falls in the 11 O'clock (almost 12 O'clock) position.
      Last edited by Rogue5; 02-09-2022, 12:10 AM.

Comment

gap is still to big, run lock around to 6 OClock. I dont know who came up with the business card gap but thats just a guide.

Comment

The front handguard needs at least a little looseness to avoid putting tension on the barrel. After a few shots the point of impact will walk a foot or more as the barrel heats up. It's normal, and sometimes needs a full turn of the lock ring.
          The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
          The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

I read that 2 Business Cards thing on the CMP Site.
            Gas Cylinder - Civilian Marksmanship Program (thecmp.org)

Comment

If the front HG barely moves the spacing is fine. Personally I would consider two business card thickness too much. Too much will effect accuracy as much as too little. Often more. The OP's spacing is far too wide IMHO. As it shifts back and forth during shooting it will change the POI. Though, with most Garands, you probably will never notice it much.

All it really does is provide space for metal expansion during heating.
              Last edited by lapriester; 02-09-2022, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Any of you have a photo of how close the rear Gas Cylinder ring should be to the Front HG that would be great.

Comment

As I stated before, turn the gas lock on around to time at 6 OClock. If there is any space at all you are fine.............................

Comment

I usually turn the lock down until it stops, then back off until it lines up for the screw. If it stops close to 6clock, I'll back it off a full turn.
                    The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
                    The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

The Hand Guard to the GC ring placed closer seemed way too tight, so I ended up taping the GC back just enough until the Lock lined up at the 6 O'Clock.

Comment

If it had even the slightest amount of movement it was fine

Comment

• Rogue5
                          Rogue5 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks for your input. It would be great to see a picture of yours for a comparison.

Originally posted by Orlando View Post
                        If it had even the slightest amount of movement it was fine
                        As always, Bill is spot-on.
                        Jon

Comment

You are waaaaay overthinking this. Again if there is even the slightest amount of movement you are fine. No picture needed
                          I have built many Garands,I try and get the handguard as tight as possible but still have just the slightest gap. I dont want the handguard sliding around more than it has to. Really none of this matters unless doing a accuracy build.
                          When rifles were originally built at factory gas locks were not timed. One was grabbed off the pile and installed
                          Last edited by Orlando; 02-12-2022, 05:29 AM.

Comment

You're lucky like to have it all. I only have one.
                            Currently the Lock on mine stops at the 6'Oclock and the space between the gas cylinder and front hand guard is slightly less than a dime.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Rogue5; 02-12-2022, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X