Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA/GAW Cartouche question

Hey guys,

I need your keen eyes please. Is it me or does the "S" in the attached cartouche look like it has been gone over? The darker portion looks a bit wonky and I think I can see a lighter outline?

Thanks!
    James
    Click image for larger version  Name:	pix340520526.jpg Views:	0 Size:	7.9 KB ID:	33709
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	33710
    Last edited by Jmd62; 02-03-2022, 01:11 AM.

SA GAW cartouche which was used as a rebuild stamp in 1944 (maybe linger) on a Winchester stock plus other photos Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010056_0046_046.jpg
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	33714 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010024_0012_012.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	33715
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jmd62 View Post
      Hey guys,

I need your keen eyes please. Is it me or does the "S" in the attached cartouche look like it has been gone over? The darker portion looks a bit wonky and I think I can see a lighter outline?

Thanks!
      James
      Click image for larger version Name:	pix340520526.jpg Views:	0 Size:	7.9 KB ID:	33709

Yeah it looks like who ever had this prior tried to make an S stand out. Where did you get the stock?
      At least you have one with markings, mine doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue5 View Post

Yeah it looks like who ever had this prior tried to make an S stand out. Where did you get the stock?
        At least you have one with markings, mine doesn't.
        I'm glad you see it too. I don't own the stock, but I was curious when that S caught my eye.

Comment

• Rogue5
          Rogue5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Were you planning to buy it?

• Jmd62
          Jmd62 commented
          Editing a comment
          Actually I'm not, just trying to educate myself on these cartouches.

Originally posted by Jmd62 View Post
        Hey guys,

Thanks!
        James
        Click image for larger version Name:	pix340520526.jpg Views:	0 Size:	7.9 KB ID:	33709

Actually I see nothing there that would indicate what you are implying. Cartouche stamping was not a fine science and often done imperfectly. Some even appear to have double lines, missing lines, uneven lettering, unusual positioning, even done upside done in rare examples. The Cartouche pictured looks quite authentic to me. Especially, inside that dent, you still see a remnant of the original stamping. That would virtually be impossible to create.

Comment

Originally posted by lapriester View Post

Actually I see nothing there that would indicate what you are implying. Cartouche stamping was not a fine science and often done imperfectly. Some even appear to have double lines, missing lines, uneven lettering, unusual positioning, even done upside done in rare examples. The Cartouche pictured looks quite authentic to me. Especially, inside that dent, you still see a remnant of the original stamping. That would virtually be impossible to create.
          Excellent, thanks for your 2nd set of eyes!

Comment

Also note the absence of the Cartouche upper vertical line. That indicates a typical uneven stamping job and that's also why the upper part of the S is more faint. That part of the stock is not perfectly flat so uneven stamping was pretty common with a Cartouche as large as that.

Comment

Working...
            X