Question about a M1 grand I’m looking at buying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about a M1 grand I’m looking at buying

I’m know someone that might be selling a M1 grand that is stamped smith corona I was not aware that they manufactured M1 grands. Is it a good one to buy or is there something not right about it?

Smith Corona never made garands,...1903A3 yes, not garands. Maybe the guy means "Santa Fe Division". It was a part of Golden State Arms. Lots of info on the web about them.
    Looking for SA bayonets 922033 & 1045220

Comment

Originally posted by Keithsimonds View Post
      I’m know someone that might be selling a M1 grand that is stamped smith corona I was not aware that they manufactured M1 grands. Is it a good one to buy or is there something not right about it?
      Sounds like a 1903 not an M1

Comment

That’s kind of what I was thinking too it’s thro a friend of a friend so I have not seen it yet just been told about it.

Comment

Ok so after talking to them further they got the two mixed up the one was a 1903. Im new to M1 grands so is there somewhere I can put in the SN and find out more about it? They say the number is 1987572. I’m trying to figure out a value of the rifle to offer them.

Comment

Pick up some garand books. Mixer M1 runs 800-1500.

Comment

I wouldn't buy anything sight unseen. Will you be able to get some pictures of the garand...top, bottom, sides, any cartouches, etc? Pictures of the internals would help too.
              Looking for SA bayonets 922033 & 1045220

Comment

Originally posted by flgliderpilot View Post

Sounds like a 1903 not an M1
                Smith Corona never made 1903s or M1 Garands. They only made 03a3s and that was during WWII.

Comment

Here's one place that relates dates to serial numbers:
                  USRifleCAL30M1.com
                  Your serial number puts the receiver at September 1943. Don't be disappointed if its a mixmaster. Most went through this process at least once:
                  From the American Rifleman Archives: "In the System:" M1 Garand Rebuilds | An Official Journal Of The NRA
                  The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
                  The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Ok so after talking to them further they got the two mixed up the one was a 1903. Im new to M1 grands so is there somewhere I can put in the SN and find out more about it? They say the number is 1987572. I’m trying to figure out a value of the rifle to offer them.
                    Welcome to the forum.
                    US RIFLE CAL. 30 M1 or M1 GARAND. Use either term in an internet search.
                    Last edited by RDS; 01-25-2022, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Best to get pictures. If you can post it here, we can probably tell you what it is.

Comment

Working...
                      X