Value of SA 52 M1 Garand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Value of SA 52 M1 Garand

I have a SA 52 M1 Garand. Serial number 3738xxx. The rifle is in excellent condition and appears to have never been fired. Local FFL dealers have had a difficult time trying to put a value on it because they tell me it's rare and collectable. If anyone can tell me more about it, including the value, it would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Sir
      You have what looks like a very nice rifle but is not what I would call rare, its is a WW11, 1945 rifle that has gone through atleast one rebuild. The SA 52 signifies it was rebuilt at Springfield in 1952, these rebuilds are sought after. Post more details if you have them
      Last edited by Orlando; 01-04-2022, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Nice rifle but far from rare or collectible. Just another 1945 rebuilt WWII rifle that is probably a mixmaster of various period and post war parts. I'll differ with Orlando here. If it is a 1952 rebuild that's nothing special either. The more sought after rebuilds were done by SA in the 60's.

Thousands of rifles such as that were sold as Rack, Field and Service Grades by CMP. As with those the rifle you are looking at may very well be nothing but a Greek return. It possibly could be unfired since rebuild but that's very unlikely.

If you are unfamiliar about evaluating a Garand for God's sake don't listen to a seller who obviously is looking to make a lot of money on his consignment by promoting the rifle falsely.

Value? Maybe as high as $1000 dependant on barrel and function parts condition. But even that, without personally looking at it, is an uniformed guess.

The BS by the seller would be more than enough for me to run away.

One question. Why are you calling it a 52 rifle? It's a 1945 receiver. The barrel date is irrelevant unless you want to guess as to the rebuild year.

Hell, it doesn't even have an original walnut stock on it. Though nice, that's a rebuild replacement birch stock. Rare, not!

Also. That SA-52 stamping on the top of the receiver? That is not original. Why it's there, who knows but as far as I know no US arsenal did that sort of stamping.
        Last edited by lapriester; 01-04-2022, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lapriester View Post

Also. That SA-52 stamping on the top of the receiver? That is not original. Why it's there, who knows but as far as I know no US arsenal did that sort of stamping.
          SA-52 rebuilt at Springfield Armory in 1952. The only year with that stamp. You should have been aware and have seen all the posts on the cmp forum about those rebuilds. Also, why is cmp putting those particular rebuilds on their auction site ? I agree that the 60's rebuilds are more desirable but the SA-52 may be the new "hot" collectable.
          Looking for SA bayonet 1045220

Comment

Originally posted by Orlando View Post
            Sir
            You have what looks like a very nice rifle but is not what I would call rare, its is a WW11, 1945 rifle that has gone through atleast one rebuild. The SA 52 signifies it was rebuilt at Springfield in 1952, these rebuilds are sought after. Post more details if you have them
            I believe you're right. A 1945 rifle that has gone through at least one rebuild. The SA 52 stamp is original. The serial number falls in line with serial numbers of M1C. However the barrel is dated 3-53. I thought that birch stocks were used in rebuild during the early 60's. I hope this info helps.

Comment

SA52 rebuilds can have 53 barrels. The were two ways they marked the "SA 52 ", the way yours is done and also electric pencil etched

Comment

Originally posted by Orlando View Post
                SA52 rebuilds can have 53 barrels. The were two ways they marked the "SA 52 ", the way yours is done and also electric pencil etched
                Great info Sir. Thank you.

Comment

3.7 million SA is from May of '45. It was obviously re-barreled at a rebuild after WWII.
                  My M1 from the DCM is a 3.7 million. Has a 12 65 SA barrel and is marked on the front right leg with a SA 7 66 rebuild date. I can attest to the accuracy of the barrel. Here's a composite of a 200 yard target I shot with it a few weeks ago benched, after a front sight replacement. Standard NRA 200 yd SR target.
                  Jon
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by TJT; 01-09-2022, 05:46 AM.

Comment

I have a sa 70+++ serial # but it was rearsenald in1952 to a sniper rifle it has the sniper block .On it o wished I knew how to post a picture

Comment

Working...
                    X