• Show
Clear All

M1 Garand Sling Swivel and Wooden Stock

New to the group

On my M1 Garand in order to remove the 1903 Leather Sling

I have to first remove the Butt Plates longer screw,
    then the Rear Sling Swivel.
    Is this normal?

Do any of you guys have any idea the origin of my stock?

The wooden stock I have does not have any markings anywhere other than on the bottom at the Butt Plate stamped "6 K"

Generally I've been able to remove the sling without removing the swivel from the stock. It might take a little wiggling, but the hooks normally can go through the swivel while it's mounted. The stock might be a replacement from a rebuild.
    The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
    The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

The swivel may be bent

Comment

Yeah Not sure if it is bent as I don't have an extra to compare it with. The 4th photo attached is a side view. Does it look bent?

Comment

It's possible it's an after market or fatter than spec rebuild stock. I've seen a few that have caused your problem. It's also possible the rivets on the sling are higher than normal. I've seen that a few times on after market slings. Tapping the rivets flatter so they fit through the swivel solves that problem. That's also a very fat leather sling compared to a standard military stock. Almost always that will cause it to fit tight or not at all through the swivel at the standard spec angle. Just clamp it in a vise and open up the swivel to stock angle.
          Last edited by lapriester; 01-01-2022, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X