opinions wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

opinions wanted

Merry Christmas folks!!! I wanted some honest opinions from fellow Garand enthusiasts. First off I love all WWII era guns. every weapon has a story and people involved. that us the captivating aspect of this hobby for me. I believe in preserving the originality of the gun. that being said.... I recently purchased an WRA M1 dated Sep '44. I have other Garands that are in the shape I bought them only disassembled, cleaned and maintained. this gun has become my favorite and I an contemplating parkerizong this gun. the monetary part of this means very little to me. I would just like to have this gun in as pristine condition as I can get it. I've not had this urge on any of the others. check out the pics and give me your opinion. please be respectful as this is a major decision...lol. I think I've fretted over this more than where I'm send my kid to college. lol

Comment

If you want a pristine rifle....go for it. I highly recommend Shuff's Parkerizing. He has done a zinc and a manganese parkerizing and both look great for what I wanted.
      Read all the info about parkerizing, services, shipping and prices before you send him the rifle. Just remember parkerizing will not fill in any pitting on the rifle.

http://shuffsparkerizing.com/service...ery/thumbnails

This is my rifle with the manganese parkerizing. I wanted the darker color to contrast the lighter stock.
      https://www.m1garandforum.com/forum/...y-9-53-garaand
      Looking for SA bayonet 1045220

Comment

You can look at it as not only making it pristine, but preserving it for posterity as well. Jak gave some good recommendations.
        The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
        The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Go for it, you've got good advice so make your choice and enjoy. Just FYI I had a custom magnum built and I had it parkerized, it's tough and good looking.

Comment

Your receiver has nice clear heal markings. If you have it parked have Shuff's do it.

Comment

Since it's doubtful these days that you will be making the rifle fully correct, making it look good is never a bad choice for some. Especially since the barrel is not original and few other parts.

For me, I'm a purist. If it were mine I'd leave it as is. To me that retains it's history. The curent receiver finish appears to be original Winchester and, though in rough condition, maintains it's collector value and originality. To me, that's more important than pretty and helps it retain it's history for future generations. Once refinished part of that history is gone.

Comment

Nice. I would try to get the easy parts to match the Receiver's Year.
                I highly recommend:
                "Garand Parts and More" (Bruce the owner is excellent, and very helpful. He can get you what you need no doubt)
                "Ammo Garand" (Robert M. is also quite helpful)

Comment

Working...
                X