Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serial number and barrel date confusion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serial number and barrel date confusion.

I purchased an M1 Garand (HRA) from the DCM back in 1991. It came with all HRA parts. My question is concerning the barrel date and serial number. The serial number is 5705801 and the barrel date is 5-55. The information i have on this post war Garand states that for this serial number range the barrel date should be 11-55. Can anyone explain how an earlier dated barrel ended up on a rifle with a later serial number?

It does happen. The 5-55 barrel could have been in the bottom of the bin with newer barrels dumped on top. First in...last out. It is not like a grocery store where the older items are rotated to the front of the shelves. There could have been a problem with the original barrel and replaced with a barrel nearby....the 5-55 barrel. There is no way to accurately tell what happened.
    Looking for SA bayonets 922033 & 1045220

Comment

Some confusion on rebuilds too, If a WW2 rifle that went through rebuild, has a 1950 dated barrel, the owner then believes it was rebuilt in 1950

Comment

It isnt that surprising. Barrels can pre date rifles buy 4 months in some cases. Barrels take less time to make than the receiver. Also as stated earlier early barrels were first in and usually last out the bin so its probably the original barrel to your rifle. Hope the info helps ease your mind.

Comment

The rec. or barrel could have been in the repair tune bin. 6 months both ways is not abnormal. There are no set rules of repair time or parts bin order.

Comment

The only thing carved in stone about the M1 rifle is that nothing is carved in stone.
            Jon

Comment

Working...
            X