Advice/help needed by fng

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice/help needed by fng

Resorted to join as I've drawn a blank everywhere else I've tried to find the answer to my issue.

I'm from the UK so our gun laws mean I can't own a live fire M1. I've managed to privately purchase a Hudson built M1 that cycles rounds, can be fully field stripped and as far as I'm aware is almost a like-for-like duplicate for a real M1 in moving parts etc.

The issue that I'm having is, an empty enbloc will not eject after the last round cycles out.

I can eject the empty clip manually using the clip-release on the left side. If I don't push a full enbloc in it *will* spring out.

As far as I can tell, the clip release spring shouldn't be an issue (have ordered a new one to be safe), and I can't see it being the clip eject spring as when manually ejecting it will *ping* out.

I've bought a repro M1 Field Manual, and watched as many YouTube guides as I can regarding stripping, maintenance and reassembly but still can't get an automatic empty enbloc ejection.

Any ideas? Can anyone point me to a thread where this may already be covered?

Cheers, Andy.

Which one does your op rod catch look like ?

Looking for SA bayonets 922033 & 1045220

Comment

It's the Stock one

Comment

Should the hook/latch part of the clip release arm, have that 'notch' in it? Looking at it, it looks like the pointy end of a latch is missing...

Comment

It's broken. Get a new clip latch. Maybe one of your reenactor friends have a extra one.

Comment

Originally posted by jak View Post
            It's broken. Get a new clip latch. Maybe one of your reenactor friends have a extra one.
            Do you think *that* could be the cause of it failing to eject automatically?

(shall be replacing the part regardless after guessing its FUBAR, but I'm trying to rule out what may be the cause of the issue)

Comment

The part that is broken off the clip latch is the part that goes into the notch on the side of the enbloc to hold it down in the rifle.

When the last round is ejected the follower is pushed all the way to the top position by the follower rod and op rod spring. The follower arm then pivots and moves the op rod catch upward and latches the op rod. At the same same time the arm on the op rod catch pushes downward on the end of the clip latch, pivots it and moves the rear end of the clip latch ( your broken part) out of the notch of the enbloc.

Pull back the bolt. Is the op rod catch arm on top of the clip latch front extension ? It's possible at one time someone installed parts incorrectly and broke the clip latch.

Check the bullet guide Step 4 https://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-inspection.
              Since the op rod catch pivots on the bullet guide it may not be pivoting enough to move the clip latch.

Because you rifle is a movie prop it may not be held to the same tolerances as an actual rifle.
              Last edited by jak; 11-08-2021, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X