Identifying a stock with no markings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identifying a stock with no markings

I recently bought a stock from Numrich sold as "Used GI Refinished & Repaired". It has no markings. It is clearly not new, but in fairly good condition. Is there any way to identify it's origin based on tooling marks or profile?
    Last edited by Andronicus; 10-20-2021, 01:33 PM.

yes but would need to take a bunch of pictures and post them

Comment

Originally posted by Orlando View Post
      yes but would need to take a bunch of pictures and post them
      OK, I will do that. I have done a bunch of searching and can't seem to find many good comparisons. The only thing I think I can identify is a medium sized back porch.

Comment

Here are some pictures.

Comment

That looks like a birch (or beech?) replacement stock. Huge numbers were used in rebuilds, may well have been commercially made. I have them on two of my three Garands. They work fine.
          The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
          The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey View Post
            That looks like a birch (or beech?) replacement stock. Huge numbers were used in rebuilds, may well have been commercially made. I have them on two of my three Garands. They work fine.
            That makes sense. That would also explain why there are no markings. This will be perfect on my Frankenstein Garand I am building.

Here is a pic of the butt.
            Last edited by Andronicus; 10-20-2021, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andronicus View Post

That makes sense. That would also explain why there are no markings. This will be perfect on my Frankenstein Garand I am building.

Here is a pic of the butt.
              It kind of looks like the top rails of the stock were sanded to me. Might be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by MRusan View Post

It kind of looks like the top rails of the stock were sanded to me. Might be wrong.
                I went over the whole stock with 400 grit a couple times, but I think you mean significant sanding. Numrich did list it as refinished, so could be.
                Last edited by Andronicus; 10-21-2021, 02:38 PM.

Comment

how about a side view picture and one of the bottom of the grip

Comment

Originally posted by Orlando View Post
                    how about a side view picture and one of the bottom of the grip
                    Here are a few more pics. I don't think that is a stamp on the bottom of the grip. The photo looks more like a stamp than it does in person. The top of it is not straight, but wavy.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Andronicus; 10-21-2021, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Wasnt looking for any stampings but shape of the stock
                      Looks like a birch replacement stock

Comment

Working...
                      X