5 digit Gas trap M1D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 digit Gas trap M1D

First post here, from a fellow a little late to the game, but here nonetheless! I've had my eyes on the historical piece we call the M1 Garand for a while now. Slowly gathering information needed to purchase one through the CMP over these last few years. Now I find myself fully entrenched in awe and curiosity of the vastness behind this rifle. While looking for something to fill the void until CMP has Service rifles available via their online purchasing, or I get the chance to take the trip from NY to Alabama, or Ohio to hand pick my own, I've come across one that sparks my interest! It is from the CMP, and is a 5 digit Gas trap converted to an M1D. From what I can tell it has the correct barrel, authentic scope, etc. Paperwork from CMP matches that of the pictures shown. However, consider I am new to this, I just wanted to sneak in and ask some of the knowledge base their opinion on this particular rifle, I'd also like a purchase value in todays market. I understand that 15 years ago the prices were substantially less, but that's not the case anymore, unfortunately (for my sake as a buyer at least)

What do you think of this particular piece of history?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Bolt.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	31218

Name:	Front scope.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	623.9 KB
ID:	31220

Name:	Lower trigger.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	647.1 KB
ID:	31222 Click image for larger version

Name:	Muzzle.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	639.7 KB
ID:	31224 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pistol grip stamp.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	31226

Attached Files

Name:	Receiver .JPG
Size:	555.5 KB
ID:	31229 Click image for larger version

Name:	Scope clarity.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	31231 Click image for larger version

Name:	Scope mount.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	31233 Click image for larger version

Name:	Scope Serial.JPG
Size:	617.5 KB
ID:	31235 Click image for larger version

Name:	Scope.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	620.4 KB
ID:	31237
    Attached Files

Comment

Name:	Side trigger stock.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	639.7 KB
ID:	31240 Click image for larger version

Name:	Stock Stamp.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	653.2 KB
ID:	31242 Click image for larger version

Name:	Trigger.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	31244 Click image for larger version

Name:	CMP eval 1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	31246 Click image for larger version

Name:	CMP eval 2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	31248
      Attached Files

Comment

That's a great looking rifle and in very nice condition! Congrats on finding her.
        More knowledgeable members will comment on correctness and value.
        m14brian

Comment

Wow, very nice!

Comment

documentation is everything when it comes to M1D's. Does that rifle have any?

Comment

The documentation shown above, along with the CMP certificate is what is available.

My other conundrum is the seller only accepts USPS money orders. I'm a bit weary about that because there's no buyer protection at that point. From what I can gather at least. Perhaps I can put it in the hands of the FFL on both ends to handle that part of it?

Comment

Only documentation that matters would be the certificate, is it a CMP or DCM rifle? Was it a complete M1D with all accessories or was it sold as just the M1D rifle and he added the scope, mount cheek pad etc? Makes a difference in value. Whats he asking for it?

Comment

Orlando, the information that was given to me is that it was converted to an M1D (as all M1Ds were conversions from what I understand), and that's the way the current seller purchased it from the CMP. Aside from this rifle appearing to be exactly how it was from the CMP, I don't know when the conversion took place. If it were an originally converted unit from wartime, or if CMP did the conversion themselves? With my limited knowledge on these rifles I assumed that if it came from CMP listed as an M1D, then they received it as such before selling. I can reach out to them to ask if they have records of this rifle still, and see what information they can give me? The seller is firm @ $3200.

Comment

CMP will only tell you if they sold the rifle, nothing else, and will charge you $25 for the info. CMP had pallets of M1D's returned from the military. They were sold without a scope or any accessories. When the demand for M1D's got so great and CMP exhausted their supply of military converted M1D's CMP stated building their own from parts. CMP didn't advertise it but finally had to admit they did build and sold their own M1D's. Only they know when they started selling them.

Comment

CMP at one time sold just the MID rifle, no mounts, scopes, flash hider, etc. IMO that rifle is worth less than a M1D with all original accessories. If this is a M1D with original accessories thats a good deal. If its a M1D that CMP sold then the buyer added all accessories its still not a bad deal.
                      A documented DCM M1D will always be worth more than either of the above

Comment

Originally posted by Orlando View Post
                        CMP at one time sold just the MID rifle, no mounts, scopes, flash hider, etc. IMO that rifle is worth less than a M1D with all original accessories. If this is a M1D with original accessories thats a good deal. If its a M1D that CMP sold then the buyer added all accessories its still not a bad deal.
                        A documented DCM M1D will always be worth more than either of the above
                        I do know it came from CMP with the scope, sling, and cheek riser. Unless the current owner obtained a copy of the CMP audit form. There is no muzzle device on this particular rifle either.

I'm honestly torn between this, and an Italian Breda. My main concern with the Breda is purchasing it sight unseen with no form of guarantee.

Comment

In what you have pictured I see nothing that says it was bought from CMP. The data sheets are meaningless in that regard since it's obvious the current owner filled them out. The problem? No CMP COA to prove it came from them unless you haven't pictured it. Without seeing the barrel block without the scope mount on it I can't render an opinion on it's authenticity original or repro. The scope mount may have started as an original but now it's a buggered original that has had the knob removed and buggered (peened) back on and doesn't have the original ring screws. Those are modern replacements. Just from the looks of what can be seen in the picture, the cheekpiece looks much too new to be original. I'll bet it's a repro. The X on the pistol grip means the stock is off a Greek return. Originally on that rifle? Who knows, but originally on an M1D after conversion, doubtful. I question the Cartouche being the correct one for an arsenal converted M1D. And of course, much would depend on barrel and component condition. A worn out FG M1D with a worn barrel is just another worn out FG with a barrel block on it.

It's a nice rifle but will never qualify as being completely original so the price should reflect a substantial discount under what an original would be worth. But that's just IMHO of course.

Comment

Larry, Good eye on the peened knob, I completely missed that.

Comment

Originally posted by lapriester View Post
                              In what you have pictured I see nothing that says it was bought from CMP. The data sheets are meaningless in that regard since it's obvious the current owner filled them out. The problem? No CMP COA to prove it came from them unless you haven't pictured it. Without seeing the barrel block without the scope mount on it I can't render an opinion on it's authenticity original or repro. The scope mount may have started as an original but now it's a buggered original that has had the knob removed and buggered (peened) back on and doesn't have the original ring screws. Those are modern replacements. Just from the looks of what can be seen in the picture, the cheekpiece looks much too new to be original. I'll bet it's a repro. The X on the pistol grip means the stock is off a Greek return. Originally on that rifle? Who knows, but originally on an M1D after conversion, doubtful. I question the Cartouche being the correct one for an arsenal converted M1D. And of course, much would depend on barrel and component condition. A worn out FG M1D with a worn barrel is just another worn out FG with a barrel block on it.

It's a nice rifle but will never qualify as being completely original so the price should reflect a substantial discount under what an original would be worth. But that's just IMHO of course.
                              Thank you for your insight! The cheek piece at best, is certainly not original to the rifle as it is Stamped MRT MAY 1976. As stated above, there is a CMP certification that has it listed as an "M1D Garand" listed in the Model section of the COA. FWIW it does come with the CMP eggfoam (nonfitted) case. I really wish the seller was closer to me so I could get my hands on it. But as you have pointed out, it seems like there are too many questions regarding authenticity for me to be willing to invest over $3,000. I'd really like to own one, but I also want to be able to verify (with the help of the enthusiasts like yourself and Orlando) correctness to a certain degree.

Comment

Working...
                              X