M1 Naval Varuant Marked 308 Short Barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M1 Naval Varuant Marked 308 Short Barrel

Approximately 15 years ago I acquired an M1 which I believe to be a naval variant. In discussing The purchase from the seller I was informed that he had belong to his brother who had passed away. He served 40 years in the Navy and was apparently an excellent marksman. I have done some research regarding the naval variants That were re-barrel from 30.06 to 308 After World War II. The only markings on the barrel of my rifle are the words 308 short barrel. In searching for information regarding the rifle I have found that many of the rebareled rifles bear the letter NATO followed by 7.62 x51.
    can anyone assist with information about this specific rifle.
    thanks !

Photos may help. What is the barrel length, contour and is it blued or parkerized?

Comment

None of the Navy converted M1 barrels were marked as you indicated nor were they marked "308" at all since they were not 308 barrels. They were 7.62X51 NATO barrels which can have significant dimension/headspace measurements compared to 308 Winchester. Enough so that 308 commercial ammo should not be fired in one unless headspace is checked and it passes a 308 No-Go. Many will actually fail a 308 Field guage when brand new.

Before actually firing the rifle you need to do a headspace check since it definitely isn't a Navy variant and you have no idea what it is in reality. Really bad things could happen unless you have it checked by a qualified Gunsmith. The term "308 Short Barrel" is a term I have never heard of or seen on a rifle in all the years I've dealt with M1 rifles. Be smart and be sure to be safe.
      Last edited by lapriester; 09-03-2021, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X