Collectors and Shooters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collectors and Shooters

My DCM Garand at first seemed to be all early parts, including I thought the original barrel. For many years I rarely used it to preserve it. Recently I determined the barrel is a post-war replacement. I still value it since it was purchased directly out of US Army inventory and is a "once in a lifetime" buy. I do actually use my firearms and now use my post-war rebuild with less concern about wear and tear, but still am careful.

What concerns me is the acrimony that seems to exist between "collectors" and "shooters". Our rifles are our personal property to do with as we see fit. I'm starting to understand the practice of correcting, though I would not do that, and would not want a corrected rifle. For some a corrected rifle might be a sort of work of art, not to be used. For the shooter the Garand is an excellent rifle good for plinking, targets, competition and even hunting. Shooters appreciate the utility of an excellent design.

May we at least participate as different aspects of the Garand community without "trashing" each other?
    Last edited by Smokey; 08-15-2021, 12:12 PM.
    The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
    The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

There is nothing wrong with correcting a garand. It's the same as someone restoring or correcting a 57 Chevy 2-Door or a 64 Mustang. You have all the correct parts but you have to realize it's still not original.
    Looking for SA bayonets 922033 & 1045220

Comment

This^^^^^^EXACTLY !! A rifle is only original ONCE. That is the day it leaves the armory.
      Jon

Comment

I am of the group that feels it ok to correct it, or shoot it or make it a safe queen. It is yours until you no longer wish to posses it. All M1 Garands are a piece of history no matter what condition its in, all original or corrected or a rebuild. I personally prefer a M1 that shows "its been there and done that". A WWII M1 rebuilt post WWII may have been used by US forces in WWII, the Korean war, the Cold War, Lebanon in 1958, Cuban Missile Crisis and Vietnam doing shipboard duty with US Navy. Others rebuilt in the 1960s were issued to National Guard units during the civil unrest of the 1960s and early 1970s including M1Ds. The M1 Garand had a long distinguished career with US Military, our Nato allies and Asian allies during the cold war. Enjoy your piece of history and do not worry what others think.

Comment

I am of the opinion that it's your rifle do what you want. I have nothing but shooters but go to collector sites so I don't ruin valuable rifles or parts.

Sites such as this one are valuable assets for shooters and collectors, better for those who are willing to spend the time reading. Maintaining a self loading rifle is detailed so these sites help. Finding a Garand that's still original is not the same as finding a rifle that is as issued. Most and by that I mean 99.999% are mixmasters and rifles reassembled with as issued parts and they are not original and not nearly as valuable as original but documented rifles are valuable and rare. The demand for reassembled to as issued rifles have driven up costs and unfortunately have become a source for controversy.

I will say this the activities of collectors have driven up the prices of the M1 Carbine to the point where it's financially no longer a viable choice for a personal defence firearm. Even marginal rifles are bringing over $1,000. Do to this market driven cost one can cost effectively purchase other choices, many better choices for less money.

Comment

I have a collection and I shoot every one. Owning something you don't plan to use or sell is pointless IMHO.

These guns were meant to shoot. Dont get me wrong...i take excellent care of them...but I shoot them at every opportunity.

Comment

• TJT
              TJT commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed. Safe gueens be damned.
              Jon

I have certain rifles for certain purposes. I have a couple of nice collector rifles that are safe queens never to be shot, and I intentionally bought mixmasters for my shooting pleasure. So I am in both camps. However, in the end, they are your rifles to do with as you please. The main thing is making sure they are maintained and preserved for future generations after we are dead and gone. I think that is the end goal of most of us anyway. Have fun, stay safe, and keep em shooting!

Comment

I have both shooters and safe queens, there is a purpose for both.

The obvious purpose for shooters is to have fun, train, plink, hunt, defend yourself and family, etc.

The purposes for safe queens can most only be appreciated by those that like higher qualities about firearms. We may like perfection and enjoy owning, looking at, and showing off a perfect or correct example, and fine workmanship or fit and finish. Or a rare gun that can never be replaced, maybe there are very few examples left. For some there is pride and satisfaction in owning something in outstanding condition or that is like the day it was new. It is like having your cake and eating it too. The other aspect is whatever gun is your SHTF gun it is prudent to have a spare that is only test fired then put away, that has it's full service life left on it for a rainy day. I'm not a fan of patina, gouges, abuse, etc but some really are and that's Ok for them. And they can still be my friend!

Neither is wrong.
              m14brian

Comment

So would you shoot this one????????????

Comment

The guys that have gas trap rifle matches in Texas, replace the keystone springs and firing pin before shooting. If you crack an original gas trap cylinder shooting the rifle, it is going to cost around 5K or more to replace - if you can find another original

Comment

Orlando
                    That's a beautiful M1. Definitely a safe queen. A piece of history to be preserved not shot.

Comment

Or this one....................
                      Sure you "could " shoot them but why? It will only take away value. I have plenty of good accurate shooter garands to take to the range

Last edited by Orlando; 08-28-2021, 11:31 AM.

Comment

That looks like a museum piece. I wouldn't shoot it, but I probably wouldn't buy it either. My favorite is an RM1SECIAL in .30-06.
                        The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
                        The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Very beautiful rifles Orlando! DO NOT SHOOT THOSE! Since we are talking rifles to collect and not shoot, this is one that I have never shot. Never intend to either. Still had some cosmoline stuck on in some places.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I need one just like that still has wrap on the sights, unissued and unfired, that's a bucket list item for me! I would NEVER shoot that, it would be displayed in a beautiful case in the living room among other unfired battle rifles.
                            m14brian

Comment

Working...
                            X