Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd round stoppage?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    2nd round stoppage?

    I was at the range today to test fire my new loads after doing a ladder test several weeks ago. Out of no where, I started to experience a second round stoppage. The Garand would not pick up the second round. I cycled the bolt and it picked up the second round and things went find. Thinking that I may be a little light on powder charge, I went to factory Cavim bullets, same thing. Anybody got an idea what may be the problem? Thanks.

    #2
    Sounds like it's short cycling. Have you properly and completely greased the rifle?
    The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
    The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Beltfed View Post
      I was at the range today to test fire my new loads after doing a ladder test several weeks ago. Out of no where, I started to experience a second round stoppage. The Garand would not pick up the second round. I cycled the bolt and it picked up the second round and things went find. Thinking that I may be a little light on powder charge, I went to factory Cavim bullets, same thing. Anybody got an idea what may be the problem? Thanks.
      I would go with the advice from Smokey first. Make sure that gas system is tightened up. If it doesn't work then post you load here.

      Comment


        #4
        I torn the rifle down, cleaned and greased everything. I had done this just weeks ago but did it again to be sure. Gas system was tight. Have a vented gas plus installed as I ladder tested surplus powder against factory Lake City. The only difference between the ladder test and the second round stoppage, I was using a modified en bloc 2 rounder for the ladder test vs a 8 round en bloc. I’m just trying to burn up many pounds of surplus powder of unknown type. I have a stock of known powder like BL-C2 and 4895, but I like to ‘blast’ at the range with this cheap powder. We will see what happens next time.

        Comment


          #5
          I see two possible red flags, the gas screw and modified enbloc

          Comment


          • TJT
            TJT commented
            Editing a comment
            Beat me to it.
            Jon

          #6
          Originally posted by Beltfed View Post
          I torn the rifle down, cleaned and greased everything. I had done this just weeks ago but did it again to be sure. Gas system was tight. Have a vented gas plus installed as I ladder tested surplus powder against factory Lake City. The only difference between the ladder test and the second round stoppage, I was using a modified en bloc 2 rounder for the ladder test vs a 8 round en bloc. I’m just trying to burn up many pounds of surplus powder of unknown type. I have a stock of known powder like BL-C2 and 4895, but I like to ‘blast’ at the range with this cheap powder. We will see what happens next time.
          Put the rifle back to stock. Use a proper gas system.

          Comment


            #7
            Thanks guys. I will do as suggested now that I have what I think is the correct powder charge of the surplus powder. I will also test again the reloads vs mil spec Lake City with correct en bloc. Stay tuned.

            Comment


              #8
              Problem solved (I think). Somehow in earlier testing I settled on a powder charge to cycle the action on the second round that was too light. 38.4 grains of surplus powder. After doing another ladder test I found the sweet spot at 39.8 grains. The adjustable gas cylinder lock screw was adjusted to operate the rifle using mil spec Lake City ammo. The function of the rifle was identical at 39.8 grains. The recoil and where the brass landed was somewhat the same. I am going to test with around a hundred rounds of the surplus powder @39.8 grains. If all goes well then I will install a regular GI gas cylinder lock screw. The only difference between the two was the ‘report’ from firing. I assume this is due to two different types of powder.
              Then on to .30-06.
              Last edited by Beltfed; 08-06-2021, 03:29 PM.

              Comment


                #9
                39 point anything is an awfully small amount of powder. Your at the point where you could almost throw a double and have a serious issue. Proceed with caution

                Comment


                  #10
                  "On to 30-06"? If you're loading 7.62 NATO that charge makes more sense.
                  The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
                  The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

                  Comment


                    #11
                    I was/am doing ladder testing on both .30-06 and 7.62 mm with this surplus powder. Using milspec ammo to set the adjustable gas screw. Then starting with low charges and going up with powder till the Garand operated in same fashion as milspec ammo. I settled on 48.5 grains for the .30-06 and 39.8 grains for the 7.62 mm. That may change down the road. The report was different but other than that, everything was pretty much the same. I have a zillion 147 grain bullets, brass, and many pounds of surplus powder. I want to send them down range.
                    I see no reason NOT to use an adjustable gas screw when one has no idea of powder charge. Of course, once a correct power charge is identified then a GI screw can be installed. Can one understand my point?
                    Now on to my M1A1 and L1A1.

                    Comment


                    • TJT
                      TJT commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Using an unknown powder isn't the brightest thing to do either but hey, it's your rifle, your life.
                      Jon

                    #12
                    Originally posted by Beltfed View Post
                    I was/am doing ladder testing on both .30-06 and 7.62 mm with this surplus powder. Using milspec ammo to set the adjustable gas screw. Then starting with low charges and going up with powder till the Garand operated in same fashion as milspec ammo. I settled on 48.5 grains for the .30-06 and 39.8 grains for the 7.62 mm. That may change down the road. The report was different but other than that, everything was pretty much the same. I have a zillion 147 grain bullets, brass, and many pounds of surplus powder. I want to send them down range.
                    I see no reason NOT to use an adjustable gas screw when one has no idea of powder charge. Of course, once a correct power charge is identified then a GI screw can be installed. Can one understand my point?
                    Now on to my M1A1 and L1A1.
                    Check out the article in the September Guns & Ammo by Dave Emary on reloads specifically for military firearms. He has worked up a few loads that work great in the M1 and ballistically are close to the original ammo, so your sight adjustments essentially are the same as the distance markings/number of clicks per next range on the existing sights. He's been in the ammo making/reloading arena a long time and knows what he's talking about. Food for thought at the very least.

                    Comment


                      #13
                      I will pick up a copy. I assume he is writing about known powders like 4895. One can never have to much information when it comes to reloading. Thanks for the heads up.

                      Comment


                        #14
                        Originally posted by Beltfed View Post
                        I will pick up a copy. I assume he is writing about known powders like 4895. One can never have to much information when it comes to reloading. Thanks for the heads up.
                        No problemo.
                        He mentions Alliant RL-15, Hodgdon Varget, IMR 4895 and 4064, and VN135, 140, and 150 as well as some good bullet selections. It's not a full "this is the magic selection" thing, but it gives you a good ballpark to play in. He does mention the original 4895 load as well (150 or 152 gr bullet over 50 gr 4895, but he mentions seeing charges as low as 47 gr.).
                        He covers several others as well and I think is going to add more calibers next month.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X