Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Observations of new CMP stocks

Hey Guys,

I had a CMP special about 10 years ago and I've noticed some differences between then and now in regards to the stocks they use. Back then the stock set seemed a bit on the chunky side compared to the GI stocks. Not terrible mind you...just a clunker stock. The last several CMP stocks ive seen though in the past couple years have been much more trim and GI like. Did they change vendors?

Anyways the new ones seem very nice...anyone have both and care to comment?

My DCM buttstock was so oversize I had difficulty accessing the trigger, especially with the forged trigger guard. The RM1SPECIAL I got some 5 years ago had a much better and slimmer profile. It became my "go-to" utility rifle. The DCM rifle is now wearing one of the composite drill stock sets and is better to carry and shoot with it.
    The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
    The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Yes the stocks are different, shaped closer to military size not the same old bulky Boyds stocks of years ago

Comment

Thanks Orlando. Glad to know I'm not going crazy after all LOL

Comment

I have noticed our new (new to us) stocks feel like balsa wood, light and airy feeling. Compared to the ones we sent back that were full and strong feeling.

BTW, I am just a VFW member with 8 M1 Garands in our inventory. They have BFAs on them and are for military honors only. I do have to say the new to us metal parts look old school but are practically brand new due to the expert care the CMP performed on these M1s. I can still feel a bit of sandblaster(?) material on the metal parts.
          Thank you,
          budy

Comment

The new commercial stocks are lighter than old oil soaked USGI wood.

Comment

Originally posted by Quak View Post
              Hey Guys,

I had a CMP special about 10 years ago and I've noticed some differences between then and now in regards to the stocks they use. Back then the stock set seemed a bit on the chunky side compared to the GI stocks. Not terrible mind you...just a clunker stock. The last several CMP stocks ive seen though in the past couple years have been much more trim and GI like. Did they change vendors?

Anyways the new ones seem very nice...anyone have both and care to comment?
              If you have an ole Boyds chocolate birch and want to give it the "GI" treatment...?

(have two)

Shaping and refinishing new birch CMP wood

https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=9924

GR

Comment

Budy, can you still pull an oiled patch up those barrels with the BFA? If the bores are still good, they might be ood shooters.
                The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
                The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Working...
                X