A question I fear to ask...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question I fear to ask...

Alrighty so recently I acquired an excellent condition 1955 H&R from a friend who was cleaning out his parent's house. I sent a letter to the CMP to see if it was a CMP rifle and sure enough it was a service grade sold when they got their big Greek import. The rifle honestly doesn't appear to have been fired much. When I was doing my usual cleanup when I receive a firearm I threw a camera down the bore and found what appears to me...dare I say it...to be a bulge in the barrel. Its about 4 inches from the gas port and is a large dark shadow around the interior circumference. I've included a photo on this post. What do you all think?

Have you cleaned the bore? Can you feel the bulge when you run a tight patch thru the Bore? Can you feel a bulge on the outside of the barrel?

Comment

I've thoroughly cleaned the bore several times and I can't feel anything when I run a patch or a felt cleaning cylinder through. I cannot feel anything on the outside of the barrel and measuring with a caliper provides consistent readings so honestly I'm stumped

Comment

It's probably safe to use, and may still shoot fairly well.
        I recommend you grease it inside out, and see how accurate is is.
        If you can't feel it with a tight cleaning patch it may not be that bad.
        The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
        The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

It may just be a dark spot in the bore. You can try polishing the bore with JB Bore paste or scrubbing with brass wool. You can also check the outside of the barrel with a straight edge to detect any swelling.

Comment

Me thinks you should put the bore scope away and go fire the rifle..............................Appears to be discolored

Comment

This^^^^^EXACTLY. As always, Bill is spot-on. I purposely don't have a bore scope because I have more pressing things to "worry" about. Shoot it before making any impulsive decisions. I see no evidence of a bulge or ring in your barrel.
              Jon
              TJT
              Gunnery Sergeant
              Last edited by TJT; 05-25-2021, 04:40 AM.

Comment

If it was a bulge you’d feel it with a tight patch. Simply a discoloration imho. Worry not

Comment

All,

my apologies for disappearing, life gets busy sometimes. I appreciate all of the feedback. It makes sense that since there isn't any bulge or obvious evidence of a bulge that its probably just a discoloration. Time to go shoot!

Comment

• TJT
                    TJT
                    Gunnery Sergeant
                    TJT commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for coming back. So often a new guy will ask a question and we never hear from them again which makes some of us reluctant to answer. Welcome back and hope you stick around.
                    Jon
                Working...
                X